1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Server Lag / Downtime (Crash) - Updated 11/08

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by Alente, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alente

Alente Legend Forum Legend

Hey guys, it's been a bit of a restless night tonight and sadly I was watching Fringe when I'd make my usual cheesecake jazzhands thread so I think a more formal one would be appropriate.

Firstly...

Tonight's Downtime.

Yes the "you are already logged in" error means the server has crashed. We are waiting on Carl to restart it however I'll elaborate on that a bit more.

Now I am fully aware that these crashes have been a bit more frequent as of late and rest assured we're right alongside you in throwing our keyboards against a wall.

One thing the community does need to bear in mind however is that the only member of staff that can address these problems is Carl, the rest of us can only do our best to placate the community when things go south. I'll discuss that a bit later however it brings me to my second point.

Update: Oh bother it happened again z.z

Recent Lag Issues/Server Instability.

Alright anyone with a pair of eyes has probably noticed that recently, especially late at night, the server has been a tad moody. From random lag spikes to timing out or mass-disconnections for no apparent reason.

This is an issue we have taken note of however technology being the absolutely fantastic thing it is troubleshooting can be somewhat of an issue so I thought you guys may appreciate my thoughts on the matter.

When this problem started becoming apparent we discovered a memory leak in the server files themselves, this was patched however the lag issues have since reemerged and we have yet to pinpoint their cause.

As you all know we recently did a hardware upgrade to help counter the symptoms and deal with our ever-increasing userbase (every day we see new highs in concurrent users o.o) however we have yet to fully rule out configuration issues or potential malicious attacks.

Now while the matter is being looked into extensively I don't have any definitive information I can release at this stage regarding it, I can tell you however to expect a pretty major change over the next 1-2 days (three days tops although I suspect it will be before that) which may or may not help address matters. We wont know the answer to that until it happens xD

I understand how flustered you all get when the server crashes at night and you only have me and my cheesecakes for company until Carl gets up however there's absolutely nothing I can do to help you guys right now, we're all doing the best we can with what we have however sometimes our hands are simply tied.

Thank you all for your understanding and more importantly your continued patience as we deal with this.

Regards,
    -Alente.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    70 people like this.
  2. nov26h

nov26h Getting there

2get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Asleep

Asleep Proficient

Alente needs more permisson.

Example: Server restarting permisson,

Alente is always here when server crashes and I believe Alente can interrupt and fix the crash immediately if had permisson for it

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    4 people like this.
  4. Keryth

Keryth New Member

Simply perfect :love:

5. kloppaa

kloppaa New Member

tyvm for the info =)

6. mishkolot

mishkolot Getting there

I hope u guys will do ur best to help this server be the best it can be farewell

Peace.

7. Nikita

Nikita New Member

oh well just by warning us and all thats a good help ^^ it shows that you really care and work hard on thos server!!! just want to thank you for all the work and help you are giving us ^^

well if its been lagging because we are corrent getting more and more people .. ok i think i should stop ( just for a while ) calling my friends to come nd play with me XD!!

8. reaperxz

reaperxz New Member

Less placating more fixing. Carl learn to delegate, if you gave the other gm's power to restart the server then we wouldn't be spamming the forums and hating on your lazy ass. How can carl of not given any of his staff his phone number, maybe NC FAIL wasn't so bad after all.. no wait they were.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  9. cozolinofly

cozolinofly Legendary Member

Make an Event

10. Ladydrexy

Ladydrexy Proficient

tnk u for the information ALente :)

11. Aethelfaed

Aethelfaed Proficient

yeh like said in other post late night for Carl and server is actually the best play time for alot of us, for example is only 7:40pm in China...

Most of us don't want to have to stay up till 2-4am just so we can get a good amount of play time in each day.

The fact that one person only has the capability to restart the server is what irks most people most of all. Many private servers have lag issues or more frequent disconections or crashes than this one does, but the fact that the only person who can solve this problem is asleep or otherwise incapable of reseting the server is the difference.

Other servers have people with the capability to reset the server so the down-time is more minimal...this being a continuating problem over several days or weeks should indicate to owner that while the problem may not be easily fixable a temporary solution of access to restart could alleviate some of the negativity amongst players and donators,

something to take into consideration.

12. Fynie

Fynie Ayyyyeeeeeeeee Forum Legend

Thanks for the Info Alente, I'm sure you guys will figure out the issue soon.

:wink:

13. heriot

heriot Banned

but dredgion ??...you guys will open again ???

14. Disentia

Disentia Getting there

Alente doesn't need server restarting abilities, the server needs an auto-restarter. :p Get a darn auto-restarter! QQ

15. Alente

Alente Legend Forum Legend

Auto-restarting doesn't quite work with how the emulator is designed, possible but buggy as hell xD

Oh and well done all! Page two and no deleted posts yet, exceeding expectations :D

Jeeeez it's been a busy day.

5 people like this.
  16. Siklaburms

Siklaburms Proficient

its good to find a post like this...

17. Malicious#400

Malicious#400 Doin The Creep! Forum Legend

Thank you for the info Alente =]

ill bring the cheesecake?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. iceinheart

iceinheart Getting there

i think this server crash thing is because of the growing population, gm thanks for giving us information and for doing your best to fix the problems

19. Adieu

Adieu Respected Member

curse words, flame flame, im the best, etc. ;D

20. Disentia

Disentia Getting there

Lazy ass... Sais the dude with a Marijuana leaf as an avatar. lulz. And suckage how the restarter won't work. Try to get one that does work, I'm sure there's one that can be scripted for the emulator currently in use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.