1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Utorrent Help

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Ablank, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Ablank

Ablank New Member

Anybody knows a good video, about how to increase the download speed of U Torrent? i had tried 3 different ports, and settings but no luck.

2. Smartik1

Smartik1 Walking F.A.Q. Forum Legend

Overall depends on your ISP as well. Generally running the test is a good way to go. (Options -> Setup Guide -> Run Tests -> Save and close).
    Note: Some people don't like seeding and lower it to like 1kb/sec. A lot of torrents these days punish you for it by giving you very low speeds.

The port number per se does not affect your speed, unless the port is blocked (in which case most ports will have the same effect anyway). Look at the bottom right corner icon while downloading. Red means blocked port, yellow will let you download (probably not at best speed) and green is open. If you are the only one around the house torrenting, I recommend setting a static IP for your PC in your router and port forwarding all torrent traffic to your PC. This can help other p2p applications as well.

By the way, a lot of people seem to misunderstand the difference between megabit and megabyte. This causes a lot of confusion. To illustrate:
    8 megabits = 1 megabyte
    ISPs give your the number in megabits (because it looks higher), so sites like Speedtest.net also show megabits.
    Your download speed is in megabytes so your theoretical max speed is whatever you are paying for divided by 8. This means that if you are paying for 50Mb/sec download speed, your actual visible download will be at ~6.25MB/sec.

Last piece of advice I have is following this guide to remove all the annoying ads:
    http://lifehacker.com/disable-ads-in-utorrent-via-settings-826283231

If you need more help with port forwarding or anything else, let me know. Good luck :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Ablank likes this.
  3. Ablank

Ablank New Member

Thanks for the help