1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Important Question about the Server

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by Timo, Aug 20, 2010.

1. phobians

phobians New Member

Yes, playing on a private server is illegal, but no, you will not get in trouble for doing so. no one ever gets in trouble for using private servers so dont worry
    :lol:

2. Zetsou

Zetsou Proficient

higly ilegal u will get jailed for it and be the rest of ur life in jail being a bitch...careful with the soap o.o
    [​IMG]

3. Cropolite

Cropolite No regrets D:

AU, ZT and AL are legal. But, the server itself is illegal.

Also, modifying the items.pak = modifying client resources which is in the copyright claim.

But, the chances of police dropping in on your house for that reason is slim to none. But, if they do come in your house for whatever reason, you may be effed.

NCsoft would go to the server owner, not to the community. Unless, NC is broke and really needs money, lol.

4. Versivus

Versivus Banned

i have a quick answer for that. Playing on ANY private server is NOT illegal. Cannot say much for the person/s running the private server. Take the example of Blizzard vs. Scapegaming (aka WoWScape). Peyton was ordered to pay 88 million dollars for the HUGE amount of profit that she incurred while operating WoWscape. (and notice no mention of Burlex, the main brain behind the emulation itself)

So no, from alot of experience with private servers as Crash Override from Deathsoft.com, no one will ever be in trouble for PLAYING on (not running) a private server of any kind.

5. Fright

Fright Proficient

HANDS UP!
    SWAT FORCE!
    ------------
    Hehehe, don't be afraid lol...

6. ryang

ryang Banned

I don't think this has ever happened before. But yes, server owners have gotten in trouble before.

7. tyman

tyman Well-Known Member

At the worst. Carl will get in trouble, and the server will shut down. But i seriously doubt the police will come and raid ur house. This is NCSoft not Apple.

8. ryang

ryang Banned

I lol'd. And yeah, Carl will be the one in trouble not you. It would take too much effort to get you into trouble. And your one of 8k people registered here. So, its poitnless to even think that.

9. Akista

Akista Proficient

I still remember this letter blizzard sent me :(

Statement from Blizzard Entertainment to the BlizzHackers Community

As many of you are aware, Blizzard Entertainment? strongly opposes the development of unauthorized emulation servers designed to facilitate the use of pirated versions of Blizzard's copyrighted World of Warcraft? game client. In accordance with this position, we have taken action to halt the development of such servers, and will continue to do so as needed.

While we appreciate the devotion and enthusiasm that many of the visitors to BlizzHackers and similar websites have for World of Warcraft?, we have consistently maintained that the development of World of Warcraft? emulation servers is unlawful, both under U.S. and international law, because such server development breaches our EULA and Terms of Use, circumvents our copyright protections, and facilitates the infringement of our copyrighted game.

Some individuals have expressed their belief that the development of emulation servers designed to interact with World of Warcraft? does not hurt Blizzard. This is simply not true. We have invested massive amounts of time, creativity, energy, and money in building a world-class gaming environment. The development and hosting of World of Warcraft? emulation servers undermines the value of our investment, endangers our ability to maintain our current games, and hampers our ability to continue developing future games. Beyond being unlawful, such conduct harms not only Blizzard, but also those who enjoy Blizzard games.

Others have suggested that Blizzard is attempting to stop any server development, including open-source development projects. To be clear, we are merely striving to enforce our intellectual property rights and stop the development of World of Warcraft? emulation servers. Blizzard has no objection to open-source development of MMORPGs generally and recognizes that there are many such projects ongoing. We are not attempting to stop coders from working together to develop their own games. We must, however, object to the development of servers that allow the use of pirated game clients and prevent Blizzard from realizing the fruits of years of intense development. If members of this community are truly interested simply in writing code to see how the process works, then we strongly feel that they are free to do so by developing their own original game, but not by creating servers that rely on infringing our copyrighted material.

In connection with our ongoing efforts to protect World of Warcraft?, we have contacted a number of individuals with significant involvement in World of Warcraft? emulation-server development, and most of them have agreed to cease further activity. Blizzard asks that those of you who are continuing to host or work on development of unauthorized World of Warcraft? emulation servers take this opportunity to voluntarily stop these efforts and delete all related code. We fully intend to protect our rights and will continue contacting those who do not voluntarily cease their activities.

If you are voluntarily ceasing further involvement with World of Warcraft? emulation-server development or related infringements, please advise Blizzard by sending an email to wowsc@blizzard.com. Thank you in advance for your understanding and for your compliance with our request to cease contribution to any World of Warcraft? server-emulation project.

Cops at my door few days later took both my pc's and webserver box :(

So yeah if a gaming company wanted to go after you they would.. but hey this is ncsoft.. they dont wanna spend money chasing emulator owners....

10. tyman

tyman Well-Known Member

after skimming that wall, it seems like u were developing a server. most ppl here dont run the server (Carl)

and. seems like u didnt stop when they told u too.

so we are good. Gl Carl

or that email could be real, and u made up the part of the cops. but idk

11. Akista

Akista Proficient

Well did run a server.. but they mainly went for the website that was basicly a forum for the dev of emulated servers...

Such as the same sites like ragezone who release server downloads to host your own server.....

Blizzard didnt go after people playng the server just the coders and sites hosting the files.

Im not gunna complain i sold the domain for 4.5k usd :)

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Altho i do not own the site anymore... here a look back into history

http://blizzhackers.ytmnd.com/

the original notice is there

our old theme song made by 1 of our old devs......

http://blizzhackersong.ytmnd.com/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  12. Uzziel

Uzziel Expert

u where the original dont u remember?

oh i forgot thats why they called u father of all retards! :lol:

have a sense of humor scrooge!!

13. Xial

Xial New Member

I hosted a server for RO way back before wow and guild wars where around. And I got 7 letters from gravity, or what ever there name was, and i ignored them. I got a phone call once but i then said that i am being held at gun point by mad hackers run for you life......

Funny yes but they didn't laugh but noone ever came to arrest me.... Could be that its scare tactics it will cost way to much money to shut down every private server for moos. OR i live in the Bahamas and we really have no copyright laws here. MEh iono but I would say ignore it till they knock on your door then say you thought you where playing the legit game it came on your computer.

But your not breaking the law by playing the game no.

FYI This is a troll thread we are being trolled but meh

14. Uzziel

Uzziel Expert

i bet u that EternalFury character is a troll law enforcement agent ...

unless hes a plain retard who defends "innocent first time" forum newbies of which i cant blame him!

he still cant overcome trauma when he was a bitsy noob.

relax Fury u r full of fury thats why even ur butt is marked fury!

relax!

CHILL OUT.

PEACE.

15. Timo

Timo New Member

Really nice that you all so much writing. But please, lies with the subject. Moreover, if the server has a license and everything, why you can then take for example the fortresses in the abyss is not? that you had but then also get ncsoft. excuse the bad english but that's just the googel translator ...... xD

16. TwoFace

TwoFace New Member

LOL for playing a private server??......:lol: