1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeastiesDecoyAccount, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucent

Lucent Ghost in the shell of a former Drama Queen Forum Legend

I would actually say the graphics are fairly similar. Guild Wars 2 has a slightly different style, similar to that it used in the original of course except upgraded, but a lot of the (unmodded) graphic quality is similar, some mountainsides and such even look identical in texture to that of Skyrim and I've been making some comparisons in my head over the past few days because of such. The weapons are lacking a bit I can admit, weapon and armor design are one thing I'm not really immensely pleased with but I can look over it, theres enough variety to keep me happy. Character models are much higher quality than Skyrim though in my opinion, especially hair.

In general they both have their ups and downs but are similar in quality despite having a bit different style, but I will say this - as someone who is obsessed with snow and loves nothing more than the snowy areas of Skyrim, Guild Wars 2 offers quite a nice view in those zones, they're really nice to be in.

Anyway, its up to you, we would love to see you playing but not really going to stress over it, buy it if you want but if you're too worried about it then just don't get it, would rather you be happy than me tell you that theres no possible way you can be disappointed and end up you being disappointed :p

1 person likes this.
  2. BeastiesDecoyAccount

BeastiesDecoyAccount Chillin likea guy who chills

Cut off their manhood, and feed it to the goats
    Holy walls of text batman!

1 person likes this.
  3. abcdefg

abcdefg Proficient

I always talk in walls of text. Get over it ;o.

Video games, not just MMOs, are going to change a lot in a few years in my opinion. The current strategy is just not feasible. I'm talking about the money and business side of course, but games themselves are becoming more and more like immersive movies. Story has been, and always will be, a weak point of MMOs. I'd love to see a MMO with a different approach to this. Guild Wars 1 sorta tackled it, but not really. By end game, I wasn't interested in the story in the least or invested in my character beyond him being MY character. They have the ingredients, I would love to see what they could actually do with it.

Of course, the big issue is that anything revolutionary would have to be extremely ambitious, and as we all know, companies would rather settle with what people keep buying rather than trying to take a risk.

@Lucent and Selik, I have a few issues. Money isn't really a problem, but, for example, I could spend $60 on NBA 2k13 which would easily give me 500-1000 hours of gameplay and would last an entire year. I wouldn't be too invested in it, and it offers a way for socializing. I'm starting college in a few weeks, and not only will I not have a ton of time to play, but I also want to socialize with the people around me a lot, and Guild Wars isn't exactly a game I can share with others. That's the real reason I'm having doubts about buying it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  4. BeastiesDecoyAccount

No

=============

2 people like this.
  5. abcdefg

abcdefg Proficient

Just for that, I'll start making basketball and football threads again. Don't wake the sleeping beast D:

6. Lucent

Dat feel when Dementa will never be a beautiful butterfly like me

ALSO WHY IS SELIK PHOTOBOMBING MY PICTURE, even my character looks angry

[​IMG]

The story in SWTOR and GW2 is amazing and very immersive. SW:TOR gets much more into it but theres so much of it that you really get tired of questing because it takes so long, even to skip over stuff. GW2's story is much less intrusive, and imo more personal, but thats a matter of opinion. I can definitely say though that GW1 had a nice story to it, and while I wasn't always personally invested in it, it was pretty enjoyable, and that is tripled in GW2. Most quests are just normal things, you go into an area and do some objective, but aside from zone quests you get story quests. Story quests are tailored to you. You start out with your character and pick some options (ie: is your Human character a noble, or a commoner?) and those will choose which story you start with. You then pick another option which chooses which story will follow that. Then you get to choose 3 sub-factions (I shouldn't really say factions, they're called 'orders' and are basically just groups of soldiers/researchers/rogues with their own mindset to each group) which decides which quests you go on from there. Some quests give you an option to do X or do Y, such as defend a town or attack some person. You can't do both quests, you have to choose one. SWTOR did similar stuff, they didn't really make it so your character starts out with options that decide which quest path you'll follow (which is why I say GW2 feels more personal), but basically every single quest you do involves having dialogue choices, like Mass Effect which in turn ends up giving your character their own personality, though you still generally go down the same questline for each class.

Generally if you want the story/immersive movie thing you would buy the standard console RPG, but I can say that MMOs really are making strides to have a lot more story, and SWTOR really tackled it well and opened the door for it to be done, GW2 refined it in that they made it less intrusive but more tailored the way you want it to be, and you can do the story when you want.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  7. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

Dat feel when Lucent realizes I'm a goddamn pirate. Or a red mage, whichever you prefer.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BeastiesDecoyAccount

No

That's a hugeass city. How much of it is actually explorable?

1 person likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Ddraig Steel of Destiny

A bit far away of your ship.

2 people like this.
  10. Selik

Selik Hero of Justice. Forum Legend

Most of the cities in GW2 are massive in scale. They actually have npcs stationed around to give you five minute speed buffs, along with waypoints in the city, to make it take less time to get around.

11. Lucent

Dat feel when it looks like you're in Dredgehaunt Cliffs. Enjoy being haunted by dredge. They're everywhere, and they suck :C

Most of what is in the background of my screenshot is just props, but as Selik said the cities are huge. There are points you can explore around the map that give you exp for exploring them and eventually a reward if you complete 100% exploration for the map, and getting that in that city typically takes 15-20 minutes because its so large.

12. Selik

Selik Hero of Justice. Forum Legend

[​IMG]

I'm dancing on your pirate ship, sir. Killed all of the crew too.

13. abcdefg

abcdefg Proficient

I haven't played TOR, but that sounds interesting. I might just buy GW2 for the heck of it. Still, I have tons of other things I want to do before I sink a ton of time into that game. My college starts in 3 weeks, so I still have tons of time that I'm doing nothing in :(.

In other news, did I tell you, I somehow nabbed season tickets to the Bulls. Screw the huge waitlist :D

14. Dementa

I already got 100% in that place :x I hate the Dredge and their stupid jumping puzzles.

15. abcdefg

abcdefg Proficient

[video=youtube;WxBBN3ZnYeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBBN3ZnYeU[/video]

16. BeastiesDecoyAccount

That is awesome.

Can you actually go inside buildings and stuff is it one of those deals like in most MMOS where the buildings have no doors and everyone just stands around outside their houses and shops.

No

1 person likes this.
  17. Lucent

18. Dementa

Lol 69

1 person likes this.
  19. abcdefg

abcdefg Proficient

So... Breaking Bad finale tomorrow. Can't wait. I have no doubt that it's the best show that has ever graced TV now.

Gah, needs to come faster D:

20. Lucent

Dat cleavage.

EY GURL

LEMME GET YO NUMBA

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.