1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

My developer application

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by Griffeh, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griffeh

Griffeh New Member

First of all, my alias is Griff, I have fewer than 10 posts, but honestly I can not say I am posting in order to be a part of the community. I doubt you would like 10 posts of spam just so I can post here.

My application:
    I was born in Bristol, UK, and am currently 20 years of age, studying Computer Science in my first year of University at Royal Holloway. I have a character on Telemachus, EU here: http://uk.aiononline.com/livestatus/character-legion/search?charID=366357&serverID=32, and I have around 20 hours free weekly, it varies though.
    I have limited knowledge of your in-game rules, but will conform to any set.
    As I have already said, forcing me to post 10 spam posts is pretty pointless. If I must be active in the forums I shal also comply to this; however I am here to program.

My experience:
    I'm a typical 'nerd', spent my teenage years exploring the wonders of the internet, and more over; learning. I became interested in how computers actually worked at the age of 13, and began my first experience with VB 6. I quickly picked this up, and moved to PHP, C, and C++. PHP was easy, however I found the C languages a lot harder. I continued with PHP, and started to pick up LUA during my school years until I became profficient in both.

I then began working under a developer in an L2J server, learning java, simple databases, etc and self teaching any gaps of knowledge. I then started three part time courses in C, C++, and C# at my local college during my GCSE year.

After my GCSE's I decided to study computing in more depth at college, rather than take the typical A level path to get into university. I learned a fair bit at college, although my prior experience helped greatly. I passed this course with Triple Distinctions, or the top grade available.

Now I am at University, in my first year of study, and find myself going over things I have previously done, and excelling at all Assignments, and tests. I am consistently in the top 5'th percentile of the class, achieving majority of criteria with few mistakes. I have A's in all my last term's subjects, apart from Maths, which is my weak area to be frank; however I know enough to compute complex functions using numerous methods. I have links to test scores, if these are required.

Bellow are the units I have completed in my Education.
    Age 16:
    C Programming: http://www.cityofbristol.ac.uk/coursefinder/CourseDetails_pt.aspx?uiid=133&classid=25&subclassid=31
    C++ Programming
    C++ Programming: http://www.cityofbristol.ac.uk/coursefinder/CourseDetails_pt.aspx?uiid=227&classid=25&subclassid=31
    C# Programming: http://www.cityofbristol.ac.uk/coursefinder/CourseDetails_pt.aspx?uiid=311&classid=25&subclassid=31

I then attended the Software Engineering course soon after, which involved units:
    Communication & Employability skills - Distinction
    Computer Systems - Distinction
    Information/Business Systems - Distinction
    Systems Analysis & Design - Distinction
    Databases - Distinction
    SpreadSheets - Distinction
    Communications Technology - Distinction
    Games Programming - Distinction
    Mathematics - Merit
    Web Server Scripting - Distinction
    Software Development - Distinction
    Event Driven Programming - Distinction
    Web Development - Distinction
    Object Oriented Programming - Distinction
    e-Commerce - Distinction
    The final grade is based upon the conversion of units/scores to UCAS points, to form a total, then that total is converted to 3 Grades, of Pass, Merit, or Distinction. I achieved the top mark, Tripple Distinction.
    http://www.cityofbristol.ac.uk/coursefinder/CourseDetails_ft.aspx?uiid=421&classid=25&subclassid=31

My University course can be found here:
    http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/Studying/ug/G400.html

I have studied a whole term of Java, and find it similar to the C languages greatly, however am annoyed at some of the differences. I achieved 92.25% in the end of term test, #5 out of 80+ class mates. I have a link to the published results if requested. We also completed a Databases unit, and Robotics, with A in both units, along with a C in Mathematics.

So you are probably thinking; why am I here, applying to be a developer? Quite simply, I'm not satisfied at the current pace of my tutoring, and am becoming bored. In my free time I usually play on official, however am quickly becoming tired of the game, and the amount of piss takes it contains, death kinah for a single example. I need to relieve my boredom, and somehow developing to make Aion more pleasurable to play just seems to fit really nicely.

What am I looking for? Quite simply, I'm looking for a long term development project, which i can spend free time on through out my years at University. I believe I am a competent and a valuable member of any team I am placed within, and aim to excel at any task set. I believe my position within the team would vary, starting at learning the current libraries implemented, working on the smaller tasks and i as become more familiar moving up to develop the more complicated aspects of the server.

I shall apologise for my lack of posts, however I hope you can see behind a mere number and pay attention to the quality of my application instead. I wait patiently for a reply.

Regards, Griff.

#Edit: I assume there will be a follow-up interview; I can be contacted via MSN, with the e-mail provided with this registered account.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
    23 people like this.
  2. Griffeh

Griffeh New Member

Bump.

Still looking for a development project in java. Completed first year of uni with a 2:1; barely passed maths (I HATE proof's). Achieved 84% in C# XNA game development. 89% in Internet Services (basically an advanced Networking and Web Dev unit). Flew through databases, good experience with advanced SQL, 60%+ in exam, passed Machine Fundamentals, again 60%+. Other courses are irrelevant.

Java exam allowed for 3 hours, completed in one hour and 10 minutes, achieved 87%. I am far more proficient at java, have a good understanding of its libraries. I my available time will vary greatly. During holidays (total of 5 months of a year) my time devoted to developing my own projects of interest (Such as working with GamezAion) will be almost 70% of my waking time. During term time, almost nil. I will be able to be called on for emergency bug fix's should my assignment schedule allow.

Please contact me, I have great deal to offer and am an enthusiastic programmer.

Regards, Griff.

3 people like this.
  3. Smartik1

Smartik1 Walking F.A.Q. Forum Legend

um...just 1 question: do you know any java? :p aion is java based and u seem mostly C oriented

either way they tend to be similar in a lot of ways and i doubt u can be any worse than evilset :p so id say why not xD but its not up to me

4. Downfall

Downfall Well-Known Member

His 2nd post answers your question :3

5. rokowo

rokowo ... Forum Legend

He just said it. :)

6. Smartik1

whoops xD missed the 2nd post :p yeah alright lol, sounds good to me

7. BabyMalice

BabyMalice New Member

Thanks god a new Developer for the team.

2 people like this.
  8. Smartik1

haha, couldnt have put it better ^^

9. TheGoat

TheGoat Banned

If you worked on an L2J server then you seem legit.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Ablazed

The Ablazed Banned

What makes you think he'll make it?

11. Smartik1

tbh if carl rejects him then ill truly say he is the one holding the server back the most. we already know evilsets mess and the fact that he doesnt wanna pay for a real dev. if he rejects free help, then there is no hope

1 person likes this.
  12. helssing05

helssing05 Expert

Well, if you manage to become a Dev. Things here would improve , certainly, but i'm 60% sure Carl won't see this, or he'll ignore ur skills, well, i seriously hope i'm wrong, since you appear to be an experienced retail player(lvl 55 with a really nice set+ abg necklace w00t.), something Evilset is not(he constantly asks us for formulas and all sort of retail shit.).. : ( . ;~~~.

13. Terrorized

Terrorized Beautiful Garbage Forum Legend

Well, Evilset isn't our only Dev :x

Anyways, good luck to this applicant, and I'll be watching for flames e.e

14. Downfall

Nope he isn't but the fact that they require information from us about retail shows none of them have good enough retail experience.

2 people like this.
  15. divinemax

divinemax New Member

bump...good luck to you mate

16. Terrorized

Terrorized Beautiful Garbage Forum Legend

Well, wasn't that why we Testers were brought about? :3

Anyways, I'm not trying to be negative in any way x.x So I guess lets just leave it at this, my dear Cosmo :3

17. Smartik1

and the fact that we have old bugs coming back over and over again, the fix list including items that arent fixed and not 1 update that didnt break anything :p it adds up

1 person likes this.
  18. Downfall

Sounds good was about to reply but then i saw the rest shouldn't fill this thread up with such things :3

True.. sad but true x.x

19. BabyMalice

BabyMalice New Member

Please stop being a flame bait, the guy seems way more promising than Evilset or any other Imaginary Dev we have here don't make a mod close the thread cause this is a light in times of darkness because our Devs are an incompetent bunch, enough said.

20. Downfall

Well see.. what terror said isn't flame bait he simply said Evilset isn't our only dev now what you said is in fact flame bait so please stop being flame bait and stop filling the thread up with such comments :3

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.