1. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is your single favorite anime?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lucent, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucent

Lucent Ghost in the shell of a former Drama Queen Forum Legend

So I know we've had topics similar to this before but any time someone talks about their favorite anime they just give a long list of anime's they enjoy. That isn't "favorite" that's "I enjoy these a lot".

Instead of that, what is your ONE favorite anime? Explain why. If you love it so much you should be able to provide a reason.

Also, since this is only one favorite and not just listing a bunch of series, you can pick one even if you aren't an avid anime fan! Anime movies count too.

2 people like this.
  2. Grrr

Grrr Highly Damaging Member Forum Legend

Tom and Jerry.

And now the flame war for anime/cartoon. INCINERATE EVERYTHING ! I AM FIRE, I AM .... DEATH.

3. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

If I had to choose one at this point.. I'd probably say Shinsekai yori (From the New World). It's basically a philosophical drama type anime. It really makes you think about some of the shit that happens in it, so you feel really immersed in the world itself.

The world is completely different from present day society. It takes place in a futuristic Utopian society (though it's more traditional style housing/clothing) after the current day society was basically destroyed by these people with psycho-kinetic-powers. Almost everyone has these super powers but in reality they are pretty much powerless. A strong theme of the show is censorship. The whole story is based around the mysteries that the adults are hiding from the kids in order to protect them, but the kids really just want to find out the truth of why their world has to be so messed up.

It's just.. I love all of those aspects in animes.. Mystery/horror/thought-provoking/drama. and Shinsekai yori has all of them. I guess one anime I could easily compare it to is Psycho-Pass. Psycho-pass has all the same concepts except it's technologically-futuristic.

Also, Lucy, one reason why it's pretty hard for me to just choose one is because I've watched so many that I really like and they're all for different reasons. I can put Shinsekai yori on the same level as a few others, but this is the one I would probably recommend to most people given the chance.

3 people like this.
  4. Momo

Momo Arrogant Member Forum Legend

Naruto, because it was the first anime i've seen in german TV which i actually liked and never stopped watching till now : o

5. Lucent

I agree it can be tough to choose just one, almost every anime I've watched so far has had a profound effect on me (as much as an anime can at least). The reason I made the thread about one and one only is because we always have those threads, and sure people have lots of animes that they love equally, same with movies, but I want people to put a lot of thought into picking one because again just like movies there's almost always one that really struck a cord, even if others are equally good.

1 person likes this.
  6. LordCurlyFry

LordCurlyFry Yeah, I like curly fries. Forum Legend

It's a little difficult for me to choose one out of the hundreds, maybe thousand that I have watched, but if I were to pick an "absolute favorite", I would be torn between Break Blade, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and... either Gintama or Gundam Wing. Probably Gundam Wing.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ciel

Ciel Chill Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forum Legend

Black Butler ftw :3

1 person likes this.
  8. Ayaria

Ayaria α ℓ ι ν є ❤ Forum Legend

Uhhh, that's difficult o: I have a bunch of favorite animes and it's hard to pick one which I really really like. My choice is "Kimi ni Todoke". It's a very cute anime and reminds me how much can go wrong in a relationship and how mean some people can be just to make you sad and lose everything you have or want to have.

If you start talking about mangas, my choice would be different tho~ ;3

p.s. I would have a favorite OVA too, I know it's an anime too but still, for me it's a bit different as OVAs are like movies and not every anime has an OVA too.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lucent

I guess I should contribute to my own thread. As most of you have said its hard to pick, I haven't even watched that many series but all the ones I have seen were no less than amazing.

My favorite though is Darker Than Black. I've mentioned it before on these forums so dementa won't be surprised, but I watched it again this week and I was reminded how much I love it (thus the inspiration for this thread). Its probably not the best made anime ever, but it's my favorite because it had a personal affect on me.

For one, I loved the art style of it, but that isn't such a big deal.
    It had hints of romance (which I enjoy) but it was subtle and didn't make it a point of the anime.
    There was comedy, but it wasn't over the top fan service (which I also enjoy but I'm glad they left out)
    The story was split into 2-3 episode arcs which were done so well that you could almost watch an arc out of sequence and it would make sense, but in the end they all tie into the main story flawlessly.
    Music was well done to make me feel the emotion of the scenes, but subtle enough to let me feel it instead of trying to force the emotion with overpowered themes (looking at you Fairy Tale)
    Most importantly though, while the main character was badass, immensely powerful and widely feared, he was a human all throughout the series, relying on and appreciating his team, feeling empathy for others, etc.

All of those are my reasons to like it but in the end it simply comes down to the fact that I had a personal connection to Darker Than Black and no matter how good some other series I've seen were, they don't quite compare to how DTB makes me feel.

1 person likes this.
  10. Frix

Frix 고독한 Forum Legend

Death Note.

Why?
    Coz I like it.
    And why I like it?
    Coz it's cool.
    And why it's cool?
    Coz uhhh ... I saw only 2 anime so far. This and something else. And if I can't remember the other one name = it wasn't cool. Yeah.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    3 people like this.
  11. Razor

Razor Master of Disguise Forum Legend

#narrowminded

Code Geass would be my absolute favourite due to very good overall character progression, plot and badass everything. Would watch a thousand times.

1 person likes this.
  12. noobeh

noobeh Getting there

Death Note

Too gewd. That's all I'ma say.

1 person likes this.
  13. Alexander_Einzbern

Alexander_Einzbern New Member

Angel Beats :crying:

14. Oyasumi

Oyasumi Coғғee-Lσѵเɳɠ Elιтιѕт Wнore

Code Geass (All of the seasons including Akito the Exiled) would be on the top of my list.
    >awesome plot
    >awesome character development
    and those damn robots (pew pew pew) ftw!
    this is the reason why I got hooked on watching animes.

15. Stephen

Stephen I always chill bruh

I have 2 fave anime, Bleach and FairyTail it would be hard for me to choose but I have to choose only one so I choose FairyTail, why? I like mystery shit and magic, and also teach you to fight what is in your heart and what is the importance of family and friends to a person. The first time I saw is I said, WTF is this shit? Im a fvcking mage, cant kill me tho, huehue

16. ::B::Y::O::B::

::B::Y::O::B:: Expert Forum Legend

Boku no pico

2 people like this.
  17. Nero

Nero Pioneer Member Forum Legend

spongebob o_O

18. dranz248

dranz248 ™ $#%!

if were talking about anime, i dont have to think twice or thrice cause the only anime i'd like to choose even if its not popular or something, i would like to go for Nyusagi's Anime :love:

19. linusk19

linusk19 Ozh acha voizh.

boku no pico

20. Ddraig

Ddraig Steel of Destiny

Macross Plus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.