1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Skyrim Special Edition

Discussion in 'Hot Spam' started by Smartik1, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Smartik1

Smartik1 Walking F.A.Q. Forum Legend

Has anyone tried it yet? Came out today. If you own all the DLCs of the original on steam, you get it for free. So far it has pretty bad ratings and when I tried it I am not surprised :)

The (supposedly) good:
    Native 64bit
    8gb RAM support
    It is free if you own all the DLCs

The bad so far:
    Looks identical - I re-ran the intro because I thought it didn't look any different. Compared to my unmodded original game, the only difference I saw was a 30 fps drop for the new version. No visual improvement at all. My modded original game looked much better AND had higher fps at the same time.
    No bugs fixed - Even though Bethesda had a fully compiled list alongside fixes from unofficial patches, they didn't bother fixing any of it.
    No mod support - The main component SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) is 32bit so for the moment most major mods are not supported.

I got the full game with all DLCs for about 10 euros years ago. Now it is priced at 30 pounds for the Special Edition (original with DLCs at 31.5 pounds)

Did anyone have a better experience? So far the game is rated at 60%, which is one of the lowest ratings from an AAA game I've seen in a long time.

2. Georgie

Georgie Ḏɪ̭̜͓̜ͅs̪ᴛ̩̪͓ᴜ̬̖̗̬ʀ̻͚̖͎ʙ͉̜͓̖͙̼͖̳ᴇ̖̞̻ᴅ̻̞̫̘̫ͅ Forum Legend

They did the same thing with Darksiders II, I really loved the game and then they brought out a new 2015 or 2016 HP special edition where they said everything is changed etc...
    Well, I got it for free because I owned all of the other ones and it's exactly the same game :/

3. neo77

neo77 Proficient

why would you even bother to spend 40$ on SE when you have all the mods you can ask for on pc? like seriously it seems as if bethesda is just making up for the shortcoming of skyrim and as of now with the amount of stuff is on NEXUS they wanna pack it (some of it) and just deliver it to the consoles? nah b im not buying it, and like you said there isnt much of a difference compared to 4-5 years of mods that we have available. this is just for the people that use consoles afaik they will be able to install mods now thats the sole reason to buy this now

4. Smartik1

The number of console mods will be limited to whatever is supplied with the creation kit. But yea they never had a graphics mod like PC. I will see how the reviews turn out over the next few days and if the game is at least more stable (though people reported stuttering and crashes already) and then decide if I want to replay the original or wait and try mod the new one.

By the way to add to the list of ruined remakes:
    BioShock 1 Remastered - has the same bugs of the original + more new ones, crashes a hell of a lot, visually not much better, free if you own the original
    BioShock 2 Remastered - same as above
    Fable: Anniversary - this was a super cheap console port with shitty controls that they didn't even bother translating from the controller so you don't even know what to press + graphics seem inferior

Overall these "remakes" are no effort attempts to make people buy an old game again at AAA prices.

Edit: almost forgot :)
    Baldur's Gate I Enhanced Edition
    Bauldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    Both of these got ruined. Again no visual improvement (not that these old legends really needed one), but they turned it to a lame tablet game with chaotic UI.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  5. neo77

neo77 Proficient

its a shame honestly, the community always end up making up for the devs. hopefully the people at TESRenewal will stop fronting and release skywind now thats something im looking for bring back them times

6. llspacemonkeyll

llspacemonkeyll (ง •̀_•́)ง (눈_눈) sweet demon

hmm so technically its ok to talk about other online games here? on the forum page? but im guessing its only for lan games that has online access?
    what about in game? its illegal like advertisement right? what if someone were to use a legion name with the same name as a dead private server's name? is that illegal too?

-just wanted to know the accurate exact rules about talking bout other online games or alive / dead aion private servers hehehehe

7. Smartik1

Was waiting for this one too. I tried Morrowind twice but couldn't get into it because the combat system was terrible. It was a typical MMO stats based combat where skill didn't matter (you hit someone in the face and it does nothing because based on accuracy you actually missed). I started with Oblivion. I'd like to play Morrowind with up to date graphics and combat system so Skywind would be nice
    This is the Hot Spam section where you can pretty much talk about anything you want as long as you follow general forum rules (meaning insults, advertising competition etc.). You can even discuss retail Aion here if you want (as long as you don't bash Gamez and try make people leave).

8. BeastiesDecoyAccount

BeastiesDecoyAccount Chillin likea guy who chills

Cut off their manhood, and feed it to the goats
    It's just a remaster so I really wasn't expecting anything to begin with.

If they really want to make it awesome, forget the remaster and do a REMAKE.

All no game engine, completely open world and no separate spaces when going into buildings, combat animations that aren't atrocious, keep the mod support, make the world bigger and all that. Bethesda does that and I'll throw money at my screen.

Oh and make the towns and cities biggers. If a settlement has ten houses, and only 20 or so people including the no name guards then it's not a city. Take lessons from Witcher's 3 Novigrad or better yet Assassin's Creed. You can the series has been going downhill the last couple of years and I'll totally agree with you, but there is no doubt that they make the best game cities period.

9. Smartik1

There already is the open cities mod that removes that loading screen, but they can't do it for houses since houses are way bigger inside than on the outside.

10. BeastiesDecoyAccount

Yeah, I know about open cities and have always used it when it came out, but unfortunately it is quite buggy and conflicts with a lot of other mods.

As for houses and other spaces being bigger on the inside, I know there is no mod that can fix that which is why once I again, I say fuck the "remaster" hell from what I've seen some of the screenshots look better in the ORIGINAL, plus with my comp and mods I got my game looking gorgeous back when the mods started getting released.

If they really want to do this justice they're gonna have to do more than slap a coat of paint on it and call it a day. Other people might be happy with the remaster and ZOMG CONSELS FINALLY HAEV MUDS HAHAHA PC MASTERRACE! but if you really want to impress, they gotta do a full remake.

Also, Witcher 3 kind of spoiled me and after playing that with all my mods, there are very few games I can go back to.

11. Smartik1

The main benefit of special edition was supposed to be the fact that it is native 64bit with 8gb ram support and was supposed to be more stable. This would have made it worth the wait for mods and remod it all over again. However, people report that it crashes like hell even with no mods whatsoever so yea. Thinking I might just go back to the original as some of the mods will never be remade for the special edition and the original can look amazing. By the way with the ENB I used it looks way better than this new release. People were so happy that they won't need an ENB, but overall all the game managed to do is kill FPS.

12. BeastiesDecoyAccount

Thing is, mods fixed the first two issues you brought up, or at least a quick Google search and fiddling with your game files. I had my game being about to use about 8GB out of my 16Gb of RAM back then within the first month, possibly the first week. Elder Scrolls and Fallout games are infamous with all the bugs and issues they have, and one of the main reasons they have so many nasty bugs, is because of their shitty engine.

Like I've said it on on here, and like I said it on a dozen other sites, and to a bunch of random people in real life(this lady at Menards a couple days ago was very upset by this, or maybe it was because I randomly interrupted her getting help from a store employee to complain about his stupid Special Edition crap, but she was extremely upset either way) if Bethesda really wants to do this justice, then cut the crap with reReleasing the game with more bugs, worse sounds, and patches that cause more harm than good and calling it a "remaster".

Do a proper reMAKE, with an engine that isn't horrible.

Main things to do. Make combat animations that aren't atrocious. I hate it when a game has people wing up and telegraph all their attacks and then do them so slowly like they've used a sword or ax or warhammer before. You know what happens, if you attack like that in HEMA? Well you lose and then the other peole will be give you crap for sucking, so people don't do that.

Also get rid of the animations where if you're using a sword a shield, that the characters swing their shield way behind their back everytime they attack. ITS A FREKKIN SHIELD! IT DOESNT DO SHIT FOR YOU IF YOU KEEP SWINGING IT BEHIND YOUR BACK! And if you're in a shield wall then all that's gonna do is bash your buddy behind you and screw up his rhythm, get you stabbed because you have no shield covering you, and then the enemy will use the opportunity of you stupidly dying and your buddy behind you getting thrown off his rhythm to form a wedge and break through the shield wall, scatter your allies that are still alive, and slaughter them like animals all the while making fun of you and being like "HAHA that dumbass swung his shield way behind his back when he was attacking us and left this HUGE opening fo us to kill him and break through! And your allied forces will scatter and be like "WHAT THE HELL!? THAT STUPID FUCKTARD LOST US THIS BATTLE! ALL HOPE IS LOST! The enemy will now raid our villages, burn our women, and rape our churches!" And then you and your family will be forever shamed and there will be no penance quest that any of your friends and offspring could take to regain all the lost honor because what that dumbass did was too stupid to ever ever ever forgive and no all hope is lost because some fucktard wanted to be like a video game character.

Also, LET US PARRY WHEN DUEL WIELDING AND HAVING MAGIC EQUIPPED IN THE OFF HAND! There is no good reason for not having that other than being stupid.

They also need to make not only open cities, but a larger and truly open world. No more having screwy cells that are bigger inside than outside and a loading screen when you go into every single little building.

And let's have actual Dragons. Don't claim that dragons are the main feature of the game and then NOT have the frekkin dragons.

I know I know you people are probably thinking "Ok Beastie now you've crossed the line into full retard" and guess what YOURE ALL WRONG! Who's the dragon expert here!? ME! I AM so sit down and shut up! HEY I SAID SIT DOWN! First person that moves to the door is getting this knife thrown through their skull.

Those were NOT dragons in Skyrim, those were wyverns. Dragons have ARMS, not arm, arms like us people but dragon arms with claws and their wings are separate from the dragon arms. Wyverns have smaller arms that are connected to their wings. Bethesda made wyverns all so they could make their so called "dragons" look like the ones used on the art in Daggerfall because whoever described those dragons doesn't now the difference between dragons and wyverns.

Next they'll make a game with a bunch of Griffins and try to pass those off as dragons! Well ENOUGH! MAKE PROPER DRAGONS GAME COMPANIES!

Also make the cities bigger. It's very silly to have a city that's supposed to be the capital of the region with "City" status but it only has about 20 or 30 people and that counts all the respawnable guards that walk the streets talking about how they took arrows to the knee and being very rude by asking if I fetched the mead for the Warrior Guild the Companions! Bitch, I got full Daedric armor, and full Daedric weaopons, and even that pales to the awesome modded set of armor I'm wearing now that I crafted from all the dragons and monsters I killed. I can also kill everyone here with a shout. DO I LOOK LIKE I FETCH THE DAMN MEAD!? AND NO I DONT GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANY SWEET ROLLS! MENTION SWEETROLLS AGAIN AND EVERYONE HERE DIES! Yeah, you better shut up no name guard, no away with you FUS RO DAH! And no you can't send me to jail cause I'm playing my "I'm the Thane and I have diplomatic immunity card" so go fuck off.

So yeah, I'd say a few minor changes if they want to do this right.

13. Smartik1

Well first of all 32bit Skyrim could only go up to 4gb ram with the memory patch. There are combat realism mods that address many of the issues you described, including custom animations mods. One of the early mods I got was to patch the stupid guards as I was just as annoyed by them having no respect. Apparently the core game has a lot more dialogues for guards, but they were locked out of the final game. The patch puts them back and makes them say a lot more things, comment on your adventures and actually give you proper respect once you have achieved something. They become quite polite. The old engine is capable of quite a few things. The only issue I had with it was the fact that you would eventually start crashing more and more due to stupid leftovers in your save that you could never get rid of.

I was hoping the new release would still allow old mods to be used (most of them can't be, not even once SKSE gets a 64bit version, if ever), address the bugs that have been around for years and address the crashes to make the game more stable. Didn't expect a magical new engine or anything, but they really didn't put any effort into this whatsoever. It is just another cash grab, selling a 5 year old game with virtually no changes at full price.

I bought Skyrim Legendary Edition for 10 Eur about 2.5 years ago. It now costs about 36 Eur (I see it in Pounds now since I changed countries).

14. BeastiesDecoyAccount

Maybe it only was up to 4gb but I remember some unofficial patch or mod that would allow it to use much more memory, I installed it as soon as I heard about it and my game ran much better from it. I know there are a ton of combat and animation mods that do improve things but that doesn't change the fact that combat in ALL Elder Scrolls games is pretty atrocious. I can give a pass on the older ones due the technology available at the time, but thing is with Skyrim, and it's a lot more Noticeable with Fallout 4 is that a lot of issues with Bethesda games are they insist on using their same ancient engine that was already creaky years ago. Now, with RPGs like Witcher 3 showing exactly what you can do when making an open world game(technically open worlds plural as W3 has several large areas all as big as or bigger than Skyrim) Bethesda is going to have to step up and make some MAJOR improvements such as using a new engine for ES6 if they don't want it to be a disappointment.

And while I do give them mad props for being so awesome with their mods and actually making the FULL mod kit available(I'm looking at you CDPR who I just praised but am still calling out for dick moves like Downgrade Gate, and bitching out on your mod kit) but at the same time they can't just rely on modders to fix a lot of bugs and other problems which is what it seems they do with a lot of their games.

Long story short, if they really really do want to do Skyrim justice they need a complete remake. Also most of the awesome mods on original Skyrim don't work with the Special edition and while a lot of the modders that are still active are converting their mods, I'm sure there are gonna be a LOT that don't get touched. There's no way I'm going to play Skyrim without my mods.
    NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

15. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

Let's just fully mod our original skyrim to make it look like real life and we'll all be good

16. Smartik1

That is pretty much why this Special Edition bs is such a disappointment. Taking 5 years to release a far inferior product is a bit too much. The old one already looked ultra realistic with all the mods.
    I never did like Morrowind. Couldn't get over the fact that hitting something in the face counts as a miss due to a stat like a bloody MMO. Oblivion fixed all that with actual hitboxes rather than pure accuracy stat. I do want to see SkyWind though. Want to experience the old game in the "new" engine.

Dementa likes this.
  17. Ddraig

Ddraig Steel of Destiny

It runs at 120fps in my 2560x1440 monitor, no drops whatsoever.
    And this was a bitch move because Bethesda used Skyrim as a test bed for the graphical improvements of Fallout 4, they didn't remaster it with the idea of a new product, but simply as a collateral way to make some extra cash.

I got it for free, so I do not really care. And if it runs better in the old modded version then keep playing that. There is not one bit of new content in the Special Edition.

18. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

The accuracy thing reminds me of BDO lol, every hit registers and looks the same but if it does no damage it was a "miss". So annoying playing that.

19. Archsatan

Archsatan Yoza

Playing it on ps4, its all good.

20. Smartik1

That is because you didn't have mod access in the first place. Also, the PC version is a lame console port (so are most new games these days), that is why the optimization is pathetic.