1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Constant random crashes

Discussion in 'Problems' started by Dodge, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Hi all. I've beed having since like forever the crash problem, sometimes 2 crashes in 5 mins, sometimes 1 crash in 2 hours, with no error whatsoever. So the screen turns black and freezes for like 1-10 sec, yes, even the freeze time is random, and crashes to desktop with no error.
    Gsync off, vsync off, in nVidia Control Panel, with latest driver, also tried driver 391, 398, 399 and the problem doesn't go away. All drivers up to date.
    Tried changing settings, cleared cache folder, cleared temp folders, reinstalling game completely, reinstalling windows, overclocking/underclocking, overvolting/undervolting, and lots and lots of other things - nothing helps, still same random crashes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    My system:
    Asus Crosshair VI Hero
    Ryzen 7 3700x with Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360, never goes above 65 C
    Zotac Gtx 1080ti with aio NZXT Kraken x62, never goes above 50 C
    Ram Gskill Flarex 3200 cl14 - not oc'ed, just xmp
    1 SSD with windows on, 1SSD with Gamezbd on it
    PSU Evga GQ 750W 80+ gold
    3 intake fans, 4 out, so the whole system doesn't starve, everything is cool.

2. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

Well, it sure doesn't look like it is related to your hardware, that is an impressive setup you get there ;)

I am not sure, but it might be something as simple as a problem with the Internet Service Provider you currently have. As I said, not sure, but it sure sounds odd, and most definately a software problem, or an internet problem. If you have no trouble with other games, then it is something you will have to ask @Kolka about, since he is the main problem solver for these type of problems.

3. Jawa

Jawa New Member

i cant login... ''You cannot login to authorization server'' what hapen ???

4. loboram

Hmmm, sure seems like an internet problem then. I am currently logged in and playing on the EU server, so unless it shuts down in the time it takes me to write this message, I do not think that the server is down for maintenance right now.

Try contacting Kolka on Telegram or through a Conversation here on the forum, mouse-over your forum-username, and you will see the option for Conversation (private message).

5. Dodge

Dodge New Member

Ok, i think i've finally found the problem after 1+ year. After countless hours of searching the web can say that for me it's the page file. Basically i transfered the page file from disk "C" to disk "D" and no crashes ever since. Also, i do not recommend disabling it, leave it on "System Managed" since W10 does a good job at managing it. Hope this helps someone. Cheers and thx for response.
    Edit: Also, the crashes were happening when GPU usage was going to 100%.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    loboram likes this.
  6. loboram

I am not entirely sure this is news to anyone, or even if it is still a good thing to do, but as you I have read up on the page file, and it seems to work much better if you set it yourself to minimum the amount of RAM installed on your system, up to double. Not sure why this is, as it is a while ago I read it, but I am sure you can find it relatively easily :)

7. Dodge

Dodge New Member

That is true on W7, since it was writing about 16gb of page file for some reason, which is absolutely not needed with 16+gb of ram. You don't want your pc to use page file instead of ram. W10 on the other hand writes about 2,2gb which is much more reasonable, still kinda too much for, again, systems with 16+gb of ram. Anyway, tested "no page file, system managed and 4 gb" with no difference whatsoever.

8. loboram

"The default automatic behavior is to have a minimum size 1.5 times the amount of actual RAM. We don’t recommend you choose a minimum size below this. Once you have set a particular drive the way you like it, remember to click Set to lock those choices in."
    (https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-optimize-the-paging-file-in-windows/)

So I wasn't actually wrong about that...it was just a long time ago I had read it, so had to make a new search for an article no more than a year old :)

So there you have it, a good description and summary to how-to, when it comes to Page Files, and as @Dodge suggested, it is indeed a good idea to move it away from the Operating System Drive.

9. Dodge

Dodge New Member

"When your apps need more RAM than your computer physically has, it needs to use “virtual memory” which is exactly what the page file is. From the application’s point of view, it’s just more RAM. The only difference is that reading information from a hard drive is much, much slower than RAM. Which is rather the point of having RAM!" - is exactly my point here. You want your PC to use as little page file as possible, that's why the statement "Must have 1.5 x RAM of page file" doesn't make sense, ofc if u have little ram and do stuff like video editing, lots and lots of stuff opened at the same time etc. then you will need a larger page file, otherwise you really don't. Like i said, i'm on W10 with 16gb of ram with auto managing page file and it auto writes 2.4gb of it, not 1.5-2x like W7 did. W7 was dumping everything needed and not needed into the page file instead of using ram, which is kinda dumb. W10 on the other hand seems a lot smarter.

10. loboram

"That’s not to say your fresh new installation of Windows 10 will remain snappy forever though." Just wanted to point this out to you, from the very fist paragraph in the article. It is specifically for Windows 10.

I am just trying to tell you what I know from personal experience, not trying to put anything not factual into the mind of others, mainly because I am not part of the mainstream and not a "troll". Now it may very well be that most "common"-computer users, do not need the extra page-file size, but I did and it made my system in general run more smoothly, so that is why I brought it up. Just trying to be helpful.