1. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Class guide : Templar

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by Fragcat, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Fragcat

Fragcat Getting there

Alright guys! Since this whole guide section is EMPTY. I believe it's up to us to fill this.

I decided to make a little class guide, to tell everyone the basics about the templar class. How to engage in combat, what to wear and socket, all the good stuff....

Now, firstly, I am not all-knowing and this guide may contain advice that some people disagree to. I'm open for feedback!

Templars :

Sturdiest of all classes, these are the tanks of the game. With high physical defence and an insanely high block rating they are well protected against most physical skills AND magical attacks. They're steady damagers, and very annoying to kill.

Gear :

Armor
    Since elder plate doesnt drop, whenever you hit 50, go straight to Dark Poeta. Get your hands on a full anuhart templar set as soon as possible.
    Accessories
    Get noah's tears x2 from the Trees in Dark Poeta.
    Also, try to get earrings of ascending from the Telepathy controller in the mines of DP

Weapons
    Now a tahabata mace adds magical damage, which benefits the templar in the way that their Magic Smash and Divine justice. These are both offensive magical attacks. Also the damage of a Tahabata mace is slightly higher, but the damage range is higher. Meaning that the gap between minimum and maximum damage is higher, causing your damage to be inconsistant.

Tahabata swords have lower damage, but the damage range is low. Meaning that your damage is quite consistant. Also the sword add a great amount of Critical attack rating, which ANY templar could use.

If you pick between these two, just ask yourself if you like melee physical attacks better than your magical attacks. Me myself use a mace , because magic Crash is one of the most damaging templar skill in their arsenal.

Tahabata Two-handed Greatsword

If you play with a greatsword, you obviously want the Tahabata greatsword. You lose the benefit of having a shield. This in itself isn't disastrous, because your block rate is around 2400. But with everyone having 1800 to 2200 accuracy, getting a block in PvP is quite rare unless you're using Shield Of Faith.
    So a greatsword is great for high damage, this is needed in PvP because people tend to run when they get on Low HP. And when you're smacking them with a mace, It's hard to get a finishing blow in.

Socketing ( Manastones )
    Alright, if you're using a warhammer ( mace ) and a shield. You get an additional 5 slots in comparison to wearing a greatsword. You can use these slots effectively to raise your low one handed damage. My advice is stack about 10 to 15 +5 attack stones in your equipment. This will raise your attack from about 370 to 420 + with a one hander. And well over 500 + With a two hander.

I say this because templars NEED the damage boost over any stat. Since their block is already really high, their HP is high enough and so are all his other stats ( Except crit ofcourse)

For the remaining slots, use physical crit. As I said before , templars have very low Critical rating. You want to get as close to 440 crit rating as you can get. So stack about 10 to 15 physical crit stones in the remaining slots you have.

If you don't want to stack damage or crit, there are a few alternatives you could use as a templar.
    1. Stack full +85 HP stones, which will effectively boost your HP with a total of 2000 ~2400. Ofcourse, you will live longer, but your damage will be quite crappy.. and you'd be unable to solo any class on your own.

2. Stack block , parry or dodge. This will get your block up to about 2800. Yes, you will block about 40% or 50% of the incoming attacks. But since the block reduction doesnt work that well, It wouldn't work out aswell. As I said, every player has an insane high amount of accuracy. Dodging, blocking and parrying in PvP isn't what I would depend on.

3. This is a very unorthodox option for templars. But some decide to stack a little into magic boost. Not alot, just about 5 to 10 stones. Making their magic crash even stronger. Ofcourse, this might be a good idea for all you guys that use warhammers. It's your own decision in the end.

Skills for PvP :

One handed weapon with a Shield

You don't do alot of damage in this setup. Templars aren't made for high spike damages, they're made for durability. They deal consistant damage and are unlikely to die swiftly. Use this to your advantage.
    Also, Templars rely on their Skill damage in PVP. So spam your offensive skills!

Buffs

Defensive buffs
    In PvP, ALWAYS have your empyrean armor on. You can't afford to get over 1.5k damage a hit.
    Also, ALWAYS have your Shield Defense ( Active skill ) ON. This skill adds 10% phys def, 500 block and stun resist.

When things get rough, for example.. you're fighting a ranger or lets say a gladiator. you KNOW they're going to stun you and get you in aerial lockdown. Pop Iron skin when you feel like they're going to stunlock you or do some major damage.

Unwavering devotion,
    In my opinion is a very good skill, but it doesnt work as well as It should. But since it lasts 1.30 minute, pop this one whenever you're fighting assassins, rangers, and clerics.

Now, for all those spellcasters, Aether armor is a MUST. But it's a 30 second skill, so don't throw this skill away. Casters tend to stun you as much as they can, because they're squishy. It's your job to make sure you survive the stun. So either pop Aether armor right before their stunlock / crowd control. Or survive the stunlock ( which is risky ) without aether armor, use your 2.1k heal when you get out and then pop aether armor to finish the caster off.

Against rangers and sorcerers

Prayer of freedom gets you out of ANY root skill. Don't forget this valuable asset to your skills.

Power of restoration
    Either use this buff at the beginning of the fight, or right after you pop your prayer of resilience. You have enough time to cast this skill when the opponent is running away or stunned.

Offensive buffs

Empyrean fury and Divine fury. Both these skills stack, adding up to a total of 80% attack. Their cooldown is quite low, so my advice is.. Use it as often as possible. Doesnt matter against what class, Pop your empyrean fury. Only against sturdy classes ( Gladiators) , pop both skills at the same classes.

Offensive skills with a one handed weapon.

Your strategy is keeping the enemy in place as much as you can, obviously. My personal stun rotation is :

Shield bash -> 3 second stun
    Weakening severe blow chain OR Ferocious strike chain
    Punishment of light ( Or darkness) -> 2 second stun
    Shining slash
    ( they usually try to get away after this )
    CAST terrible howl to slow them down drastically.
    Cast inescapable judgement to slow them.
    Divine Justice to stun them. This is a ranged skill so it works against runners. And use charge to get to them quickly.

Get close again, and start your ferocious strike chain again, finishing it with magic crash.

Ofcourse, the enemy isn't always going to run and stun you back. When you get about to 50% of your HP bar, Cast Prayer of resilience and Shield of Faith with it.

Shield of faith will give you ALOT of blocks. And followed by every block, you have a 100% proc rate of doing a skill chain.

Whenever you block, no matter what time in the fight. Try to get a shield retribution off, followed by a Face smash and Break Power.

This chain does an incredible amount of damage, and it immobilizes the target for a brief moment. Use this to your advantage.

DP Skills : Honestly, divine chastisement is pointless to use. Unless you're trying to finish someone off and all your skills are on cooldown. There's no real reason why you would use this skill.

The reason for this being, your other DP skills are WAY better. 30 second immunity and a 100% heal. ONLY use this skills when you're in a real pinch, or up against multiple opponents.

Two handed sword ( Greatsword ) skills

My personal rotation would be
    ( after I did my self buffs)
    Punishment of light -> 2 second stun
    Weaking severe blow chain, ending in a 3 second stun.
    Ferocious strike chain.
    Now at this point, you will have your opponent damaged for quite a bit. They'll try to run. Use the same tactic as with a one hander. CAST terrible howl to slow them down drastically.
    Inescapable judgement and Divine justice are anti-runner skills as I call them. Also, don't forget charge to catch up on them.

Use the weakening severe blow chain again if it's available. - > 3 second stun.
    Punishment and shining slash ( Or ferocious strike chain)
    At this point it doesnt really matter what you do. Just make sure to finish the enemy off.

Group PvP :
    As a templar, your task in group PvP is basicly... Charge right in. Make sure your selfbuffs are on, Iron skin , empyrean armor etc.
    Get any enemy to attack you instead of your party members. Even if this means diving into a group of enemies. PIN them down with stun straight away.

Now a templars best friend is a chanter, since they supplement their defence greatly, AND give them a boost in attack, which they so desperately need.
    Also an assassin or ranger next to your side is a smart idea, since they're perfect when it comes to catching enemies that are on the run.

I hope this guide will help all you templars or people that are considering playing a templar.

Even if it's just to confirm your own thoughts on how to play a templar.

Remember, this is all just my personal advice coming from my personal experience in the Gamezaion server. See you all ingame folkes!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    24 people like this.
  2. Maddo03

Maddo03 Banned

Very nice. I'm sure this will help some players :)

3. yawa2x

yawa2x Proficient

So this is the cause of the massive amounts of templars lately... :crying: PLAGUE I SAY PLAGUE?!?!?!

4. FallenSoldier

FallenSoldier Proficient

Templar

Nice dude you helped me alot since I did what you said and made a templar and he kicks ass~sorry for the language mind posting an gladiator one since I use him the most Thx

5. Fragcat

Fragcat Getting there

I'm glad the guide has been helpful so far ^^. I'm unsure if I can make a proper gladiator guide, since my knowledge about that class isn't that great. However I am making an assassin guide very soon, for all you people who love to stealth ambush people! :3

6. johrel

johrel New Member

Templar passive Skill

Boost Element Defense II
    Boosts All Elemental Defenses by 30

Boost all elemental defense isnt giving the 30 points of all elements..

Ps: dont erase my topic.. give an answer and let me know why are u deleting b4 u did..

7. Albull

Albull Well-Known Member

This is off topic and in the incorrect section, that is proberly why they are deleating it. But to answer your question not all skills are working yet some of them are still buggy or not yet fully implemented, so bear with it. You know, you should try useing search aswell, i'm sure i've seen what you said in 3 or 4 different posts.

Albull

8. tony07

tony07 New Member

A little help!

Hi Fragcat, as you mentioned about the block ratio with 2hand sword is around 2400, my equipments included full set of anuhart, tahabata sword and shield, only make up 1850.

GM/Admin, if there is a bug. Please help me to fix the stats of my char. I appreciate that.

9. helm

helm New Member

Only 1 question...inescapable judgment work?

10. ildomar

ildomar Proficient

Thanks alot,

Your guide got me from suckish in pvp to reasonable.

and Yes inescapable judgment works.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  11. tony07

tony07 New Member

Inescapable judgment is not fully working. It can only does damage and slow but not really pull PC.

12. RoyaleBK

RoyaleBK Well-Known Member

sorry but what will i socket in the taha sword???physical crit+25?? then in the shield??
    what about the seT???

tahabata sword= what manastone??
    tahabata shield=what manastone??
    anuhart templar set=what manastine???

13. Killz

Killz Proficient

try to do this..put +15 psy crit stones till ur crit is around 440..or u can do like he say..put 10 psy crit stones and 15 +5 attack.
    while using a s/s u can get more manastones..there for u will get more to put on ur set and weapons.do this..10 psy crit around ur armor..like 4 on chest,4 on pants and 2 on boots..then put +5 attack to every slot that u havent put manastone in..u can also do 10 crit,10 attack and left on +85 hp..its ur choice
    but s/s is a very odd weapon set..most ppl use GS or mace and shield.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  14. RoyaleBK

so u mean this for the weapon???
    btw what is s/s???

15. Killz

Killz Proficient

s/s=sword and shield
    GS=great sword
    and yea i think great sword is better

16. RoyaleBK

i like shield...hehehe
    so u mean i should socket on shield is 5 manastone attack +5????and also in mace??not physical crit?

17. Killz

Killz Proficient

doesn't matter where u socket..u just have to make sure to atleast have 10 +15 psy crit manastones socked already..doesnt matter to wat armor piece or wat weapon

18. Detholusin

Detholusin New Member

On my Templar, Somnia, If you really want to be an all-out damage freak templar, you can scimp out on maybe 9 crit stones, and use food, and a scroll, and in their place use +attack manastones.

This is only of course if you have the money/time to buy/farm scrolls to have them up during all combat times, not sure if its really worth it but its fun if you're bored.

Once you get really comfortable with all the abilities, key mapping the Swap Weapon action to something useful, (Mine's E), you can swap easily and use shield bash, or shield of faith to get a Shiled Counter~Face Smash~ Break Power combo in, but I do agree, a more agressive approach with Greatswords usually yields better results vs most classes. Most people think Templars are all about lasting, not about high damage, but in truth they are very very capable of high amounts of burst damage, if you know what you're doing.

As for Shield + Weapon combo, you want to socket those with Block stones, because that's probably why you have it on, unless you weapon swap for the added spell boost for Magic Smashes, which is really noticeable if you do it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  19. ganzero

ganzero New Member

I've been testing combo rotations using my Templar, i will try this out as soon as the server get back ON, its in Update status at the moment.

P.S.
    Hi Somnia goodfight bro =) you are a certified Templar extreme, no doubt!

20. dydyon9

dydyon9 Getting there

yep lately i see huge templar increase... i was one of the first >.<
    Magictemplar
    they are sure good after you get to know how to play ^^ feel free to pm me for help, i now play my sin Magicsin :p