1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Custom Shape Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Lucent, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucent

Lucent Ghost in the shell of a former Drama Queen Forum Legend

Ever wanted your signature to have rounded edges (like mine)? Or did you want it to have some custom shape, a triangle or a heart perhaps. Well now you can :p

This is best done only when you've already made a picture/signature as desired, but you can also use it while making one, if you really want.

Its very quick and easy to do, and for this tutorial I'm going to use a "love" theme, with a heart as the shape.
    I'm going to use this picture.

First you'll need to find the shape tools. For this tutorial I'm using the custom shape tool, but obviously there are many other ways you can use these tools, such as using the rounded rectangle tool for making rounded edges.
    [​IMG]

The custom shape tool comes with a preset amount of random shapes, for now I'll use the heart shape.
    [​IMG]

Simply drag the shape over whatever you're going to want to keep.
    [​IMG]

Now where you'd normally select layers, you should see 3 tabs, select Paths. Then right click the shape path (should be the only one there anyways) and Make Selection.
    [​IMG]

This is just like the final steps of rendering. Again, I use a feather radius of 0 but 0-3 can all work depending on your preferences.
    [​IMG]

Now delete the shape layer and select the inverse (Shift+Ctrl+I or Select > Inverse) of the selection you currently have and proceed to delete the area around the shape you made.
    [​IMG]

There you go, you should have an image in a shape of your choosing now :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Deadlychants

Deadlychants Rainbow kittens Forum Legend

Nice one, Lucent. I'll try doing that one with a real picture of me and my girlfriend. This is a pretty nice one that could add some more personal touches to anyones sig. I'll try it, but I won't post the outcome.

Merry Christmas btw, I hope you have a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.