1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tykimik's In-depth Gladiator PvP Guide

Discussion in 'Class Guides' started by Tykimik, May 3, 2015.

1. Tykimik

Tykimik Well-Known Member Forum Legend

Tykimik's In-depth Gladiator PvP Guide

Greetings! I've been a member of this community since 2.0 and played on many other Aion servers in the past. I can say that I've gained enough experience in playing gladiator and I will use what I've learned so far and present you with this in-depth guide about the ins and outs of playing this class. In here, I will discuss various facets of playing gladiator based on my gaming experience; from what armors and accessories to use, manastones, idians, skills and some tips that you might find handy in the future.

Gladiator is one of the most important class to play when it comes to PvP. This class plays a very important role in group PvP. However, in Solo PvP your long cool downs might be a problem. If you manage your skills in a timely manner and have the patience to wait out your cool downs, it should be fine for Solo PvP. The Gladiator is an AoE type of class that does physical damage. This class can wear all sorts of weapons. This means that if you wan't to build a well-geared gladiator wielding various weapons, it can be expensive to get gear for it.

Here are some of the pros and cons in playing this class.

• Pros
    - high physical damage
    - moderate physical defense
    - versatile; can tank and do heavy DPS
    - heavy hitter
    - Area of Effect (AoE) Damage
    - great in group PvP
    - decent in solo PvP
    - hits even harder while flying

• Cons
    - limited survivability
    - being Melee (even though they are harder to kite, its still very possible)
    - potion reliable (you cant go any where without potions if you want to keep a steady flow going.)
    I. Armor and weapons
    In this content, I will discuss which armors and weapons to use for gladiators to achieve certain stats that will be helpful in playing the class.

A.) For players who can afford getting end game gear, you may have to purchase these items:
    • Elite Arbiter's Plate set *inclusive of breastplate, greaves, sabatons, shoulderplates, and gauntlets
    • Special Elite Ambassador's Corundum Accessories set *earrings x2, rings x2, belt, necklace. All tempered to +5
    • Gonon's helmet or Fearless Skirmisher's helmet *tempered to +5
    • Wing of the Circle 2
    • Elite Arbiter's Spear (Non-Extendable)
    • Lethal Elite Arbiter's Spear (Extendable)
    • Elite Arbiter Bow
    • Aion's Chosen title *optional*
    B.) For players who can afford in game gears without having to spend credits, you will need the following items:
    • Custodian Plate set *inclusive of breastplate, greaves, sabatons, shoulderplates, and gauntlets; all enchanted to+13
    • Discordant accessories set*earrings x2, rings x2, belt, necklace; all tempered to +5
    • Fearless Skirmisher's helmet or Shepherd's helmet *tempered to +5
    • Custodian Spear *enchanted to +13
    • Furious longtooth spear *enchanted to +15
    • Custodian long bow *enchanted to +13
    * Comparisons of Elite Arbiter's plate set and Elite Principal's plate set.
    • This all comes down to personal preferences. The stats on both sets are pretty much the same. The only differences are parry and block stats. Elite Principal's/Principal's plate set is mostly used by templars because of block stats while Elite Arbiter's/Arbiter's is preferred by most gladiators because it gives extra parry stats. However, gladiators can use both sets depending on what stat you prioritize more. For Elite Principal's/Principal's set, you would need a mace or a sword + a shield of course for the block stats to work fine. With this set + mace/sword + shield, you will be able to tank some melee classes when needed. With Elite Arbiter Set, in an open world PvP, you can aggro mobs to attack you just so you can get your parry skills to pop-up. In Siel server, you get 3 parry skills that pop up that does quite a lot of damage. One of the 3 skills is called Spite Strike. It is a stumble magical skill which can counter your opponent off it's feet. If your're good in swapping sets during combat, you can use both sets depending on the given situation. If you're running away from a zerg or need to tank someone that is a melee class, switching to Principal's set + mace or sword + shield will be useful. If you can afford just one set then just stick with Arbiter's Plate set.
    * Comparisons of Greatsword and Spear
    • Greatsword is faster than spear but it can never spike high damage like the spear can. The speed of the greatsword, high base damage, and accuracy does a pretty good job.
    • Spear on the other hand is slower than the greatsword but it can spike high damage. For me, I prefer using spear because i like having that high damage burst from time to time especially when it comes down to AOE skills (Area of effect skills). Gladiator is an RNG type of class so doing high damage would be fitting for a gladiator; hence, using spear will be my choice. However, as I mentioned earlier, choosing a weapon, whether it be a greatsword or a spear, all comes to your personal preferences.
    * Comparisons of Extendable weapons and Non-Extendable weapons.
    • Extendable Spear & Greatsword
    - Extendable Spear & extendable greatsword work really well for gladiators. It can reach up to 5-6 meters in range. Most gladiators use it for kiting their targets within the 5-6 meters in range although the stats on it isn't as high as non-extendable weapons. But having that extra range is a sacrifice you'll have to make when you are using an extendable. However, having that range is very helpful when it comes to PvP. I would recommend getting one for your Gladiator.
    - examples of which are Lethal Elite Arbiter's spear/greatsword, Furious Longtooth, Longtooth Katalium, and Distorted Dragon Lord's weapons.

• Non-extendable Spear & Greatsword
    - Non-extendable spear works really well for gladiators too. In fact, it can be deadly on a gladiator depending on how you play, your stats , and your gear of course. Non-extendable weapons have higher stats than extendable weapons. Using a non-extendable will have you sacrifice the additional meters you get when using an extendable weapon. I find Gladiators really easy to use with non-extendable because this class has ranged AoE skills so using your AoE skills with a non-extendable will surely maximize your damage. I would prefer using the non-extend spear over non-extend greatsword as the former has more range than the latter. Keep this in mind if you are choosing between a non-extend spear and greatsword.
    - On the other hand, a non-extendable greatsword has higher accuracy and it's faster. If you're going for accuracy build, using a non-extend greatsword is the most suitable for you. However, a non-extendable greatsword has a smaller range than the non-Extendable spear having the difference of 1m.
    - Non-extend weapons are best used when your enemy is up close so you can burst down your target with heavy damages. It can also be really useful against block build classes because it gives more accuracy and attack.

* Custodian Gears

• Custodian plate set works just fine too. However, it does not have the extra stats that the latest gears have. With the right manastone set up in your set, everything should be fine. As we all know, gladiator is an offensive type of class. You just need to be able to kill your target before they even touch you. Your goal is to pretty much kill as much as you can before you die.
    * Fuses
    • Elite Arbiter's weapons and Lethal Elite Arbiter's spear/greatsword
    - Non-Extendable : Two Elite Arbiter's spear is the best fuse
    - Extendable : Lethal Elite Arbiter's + Elite Arbiter's weapon

***For Players who can afford game gears without having to spend credits
    - Non-Extendable : Sauro Commander/Hyperion's Spear/Greatsword+ Custodian Spear/Greatsword
    - Extendable : Furious Longtooth/Longtooth Katalium spear/greatsword + Custodian spear/greatsword
    * Wings
    • For players who can afford to get WoC 2, Great! Get one. For players who can't, a cheaper alternative to cap your attack speed is by getting Aion's Chosen Title + WoC 1 + Inquin Candies + Attack Speed Scroll. With these 4 items, you can reach max attack speed just like having WoC 2. Try getting WoC 1 by voting or trades, if possible.
    * Alternative Items for Gladiators
    • Bow
    - Having a bow is nice to have especially when your target is far from you since you can just use it to shoot your target down. Mostly used when your target is running away or when you're kiting your targets. I would recommend getting one. The best bow you can get in game so far is Elite Arbiter's Bow with a fuse of another Elite Arbiter's bow. However, getting a cheap fuse for it is fine too since you're only using it to shoot your targets down by auto attacking.

• Dual wielding
    - Dual wielding is also a good alternative although I would not use these as weapons to use in actual open PvP. This weapon is very good for killing single targets. You can go for extendable Lethal Elite Arbiter's sword & Lethal Elite Arbiter's Sword or Lethal Elite Arbiter's Dagger & Lethal Elite Arbiter's Sword. If you are going to use dual wield and really want to do massive damage, I would suggest using 2 Elite Arbiter's Swords for both main hand and off-hand weapons. Honestly though, if you want to dual wield and deal massive damage in PvP, might as well re-roll to assassin. For me, I still prefer using two-handed weapons for gladiators in PvP.

• Shield and mace/sword
    - Shield and mace/sword go well with Elite Principal's plate set since this set gives block stats. I do not recommend this if you want to go offensive because it's f%$#*ng pointless. However, I do use these items because it allows me to toggle my shield defense stance to tank melee classes.

II. Gladiator's Important Skills
    *Note: Avoid using casting/chargeable skills because there are many other skills that can offer the same damage at a shorter amount of time.

A. BUFFS + TIPS
    Unwavering Devotion I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases stun, knock back, stumble, spin, and aerial thrust resistance values by 800% for 1 min. and 30 secs.
    • Abbrev. UD
    Second Wind I
    [​IMG]
    • Recovers HP by 35% and increases maximum HP by 35% and strike fortitude by 500 for 1 min.
    • Note that this skill is not only used for heals but it can also be used as a defense type of skill as it reduces the physical critical damage dealt by melee type opponents.
    Berserking I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases physical attack by 80% for 30 secs. while decreasing accuracy by 200 and physical defense by 50%.
    • Timing is the key in using this skill. Avoid using this if you are just going to tank. For example, a templar is fully buffed and is getting ready to pull. After a pull, he's going to use heavy damage skills on you. I see a lot of gladiators buffing up this skill at the start of a fight which is pointless as your physical defense is decreased. That way the templar will deal more damage on you. However, against magical classes, you can use this buff anytime as the decrease in physical defense does not apply.
    Strengthen Wings I
    [​IMG]
    • Removes all magical movement impairing debuffs and increases your flight speed by 10%, immobilization resist by 500, and reduces speed resist by 500 for 1 min. Enabling flight without consuming flight time.
    Slaughter I
    [​IMG]
    • Magical accuracy is increased by 300. You deal additional 25% damage when attacking a player.
    • Make sure you always have this skill up when in PvP! First skill you activate right when you log in and right after you resurrect.
    Remove Shock I
    [​IMG]
    • Removes all Stun, Knockback, Stumble, Spin, and Aether's Hold conditions and increases Stun, Knock Back, Stumble, Spin, and Aether's Hold Resists by 1000 for 7 sec.
    • Try to use this skill in a timely manner. Only use this skill in emergency situations. For example, an assassin stunned you to bait out your remove shock. It is more likely that he will go for a stun lock rotation. You would want to save this skill as much as possible unless you really need it.
    • Abbrev. RS
    Armour of Attrition I
    [​IMG]
    • Reflects 70 of the damage received back to the enemy and absorbs 100 HP of the target that used attack on you for 15 secs.
    • This skill goes great with berserking. Since berserking decreases physical defense, every bit of extra defense that you can get useful. Also, this skill is useful with second wind if you're going to tank as it absorbs 100 HP of the target each time you receive a magical/physical attack.
    Ferocity I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases physical attack by 100% and decreases physical defense by 30% for 8 secs.
    • This skill goes really well if you stack it with berserking. With both berserking and ferocity together, it gives you 180% physical attack.
    Charge I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases your movement speed and flight speed by 60 for 10 secs.
    • Most people use this to catch up to their targets. As for me, I use this skill if I'm going for a burst. I normally use this when I have ferocity + berserking stacked together so that I can catch up to my targets and make the most out of my buffs. Also, use this skill to run away in case of zerg emergency (LOL!)
    Wall of Steel I
    [​IMG]
    • Parries 12 physical attacks for 30 secs.
    Spin Block I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases your parry by 200 for 30 secs.
    • It's good if you stack it with other parry skills like Repel I.
    Repel I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases parry by 300 for 10 secs.
    • This buff goes well with spin block as this buff gives an additional 200 parry for 30 secs. Repel + spin block stacked together goes hand in hand with Full Elite Arbiter plate set/Arbiter plate.
    Stamina Recovery I
    [​IMG]
    • Restores HP by 216 every 6 secs for 1 min.
    • I prefer stacking this skill with Second wind + Armour of Attrition.
    Rage IV
    [​IMG]
    • For 10 secs, increases physical attack by 53 and forms a protective shield with 100% chance to absorb 514 damage from an attack up to 514 total damage.
    • This buff has the same effect as an anti-shock scroll but this one increases you physical attack by 53.
    Magic Defense I
    [​IMG]
    • Increases your spell debuff by 1000 and decreases your magical resistance by 100 for 15 secs.
    • Only use this skill against magical classes (i.e. Sorcerers, Spiritmasters, Songweavers, Gunslingers, Aethertechs). Never use against melee classes because for one, magical resistance gets reduced by 100. You're more likely to get more debuffs because of your low magic resist.

* TIP: Unwavering Devotion, Berserking, Second Wind, and Slaughter ARE must have skills in stigma system. (LUMIEL)

B. STIGMAS

b.1. Asmodian Stigma build *my main build*
    b.2. Elyos Stigma build
    * Elyos and Asmodians have pretty much the same stigma set up. The difference between Asmodian Gladiators and Elyos Gladiators is that Elyos have Shattering Wave and Asmodians have Piercing Rupture. Shattering Wave for Elyos is an AoE skill that also weakens your opponent's defense by 600. It's a movable & range skill that has a 15 meter range. On the other hand, Piercing Rupture is also an AoE skill that weakens your opponent's defense by 600. However, it is not a movable skill and that the skill AoE range is only 10m.

* On Elyos, , I prefer using Absorbing Fury instead of Shattering Wave. Whereas, if I decide on using Shattering Wave, I can swap out Ankle Snare and equip Absorbing Fury. I personally don't use Shattering Wave as an Elyos glad that often. Why? Because Elyos' Shattering Wave is much weaker than Asmodian's Piercing Rupture. Since Shattering Wave has lower damage on Elyos, I prefer to swap that skill out into some other skill that has lower cooldown and faster animation. The damage difference between Shattering Wave and Piercing Rupture is about 798 damage. Shattering Wave for Elyos is an AoE skill that also weakens your opponent's defense by 600.

* Sometimes, I take out Ankle Snare on both Asmodian and Elyos and replace it with something else that has a lower cooldown skill and fast animation. Reason for that is because I find it hard for snare to land at times.

* Note: You don't have to use the exact same stigma build as me. You can experiment around with it and see which build suits your liking. Only thing i recommend NOT using is casting chargeable skills in PvP, But that's up to you.

Here's a link to the stigma calculator I used.

III. Manastones
    *For gladiator manastone set up, I would suggest using Attack/Accuracy/Critical for main set. Why? because Gladiator is an offensive class so you should use manastones that supports it. However, there are a lot of builds to try out that might suit your liking.

First off i'd like to go over a few things.
    *Critical stat should always be around 950 - 1,100. With Crit food and Crit scroll, you should be able to crit almost every single hit. Stacking crit also increases your chances of landing a stumble on your target. For Accuracy, you will need at least 3,000 or higher, if possible. After which, stack the rest of your equipment with Attack/Accuracy or Attack/Crit as long as you have enough crit and accuracy as i mentioned beforehand. Nowadays, Gamez Aion has been having more well-geared players; clerics/chanters with Elite Arbiter's/Arbiter's, templars with Principal sets, and assassins with Elite Arbiter's/Arbiter's. These players have extra defensive stats on their sets and with this, gladiators would require a little bit more accuracy. Moreover, when berserking is used, having some more accuracy will help as the said buff decreases your accuracy. Attack is useful for gladiators as it helps increases the damage of your skill and your normal attack. Gladiator is a must weave class. (more about weaving later..) Doing so will increase your damage per second (DPS) over time.

A. CRITICAL/ACCURACY BUILD

• This build is good but somewhat useless. If you are up against a fully geared Templar, no matter how much accuracy you stack, you will never get through their block. If a Templar uses Barricade or Stubborn shield, their block is well over 4,200+ and they would still have enough block to block your attacks. If clerics and/or chanters, gear up with Elite Arbiter's/Arbiter's set with block manastones in all sockets, they will definitely block you. You can go full accuracy to counter them but you will lose a lot of critical which is crucial in maximizing your damage. Don't forget that Mage classes, Gunners, Aether teach's these classes don't need accuracy to be killed.
    • So how do we deal with fully-geared clerics, chanters, and templars with full block manastones? Well, since no matter how much accuracy you stack you can't get through their block, I recommend using Attack/Accuracy/Critical build. With attack, you will still do some damage even if they block your attacks. Also, weave as much as possible because you would want to disable them and counter them with as much damage, stumble, and godstone proc, if you have one.
    ......or you can simply go for Magic Accuracy/Critical/Accuracy build and be a godstone hero. If you only have one armor set, I recommend going full offensive using Attack/Accuracy/Critical build.
    B. MAGIC ACCURACY BUILD
    • For this build, you will need at least 1,750 magic accuracy or higher. The higher, the better. This manastone build is pretty much the same as Attack/Accuracy/Critical build in terms of getting the right amount of accuracy and critical. You'll need at least 3,000 accuracy, 950-1,100 crit, then for the remaining manastone slots, just socket Magic Accuracy/Accuracy or Magic Accuracy/Critical. You can stack up on other stats as much as you want as long as you have enough accuracy and crit to deal damage. This build is one of the most annoying build as it increases your chances of proccing your godstone. Also, it increases a gladiator's chances of landing his magical skills and skill effects, such as ankle snare. Your debuffs will land more, higher chances for you to land snare and other roots , slow down skills, and lock downs. This build is good for 1v1's.

....And now, for the defensive stats...

C. MAGIC RESIST
    • Magic Resist (MR) is useless if you are under geared. You will need end game equipments like full Elite Arbiter's Plate set to make the most out of the build. If you decide to go for this build, you will need Sunayaka's hairpin or Master Carved Corundum Glasses (MCCG). However, I prefer using Sunayaka's hairpin over MCCG because the former has higher magic resist than the latter. As gladiators, we don't really need concentration which we get from MCCG; therefore, Sunayaka's hairpin is a better pick. Magic Resist is only good if you really stack it. When i mean stack, i mean going full MR in your set including your weapons. I recommend for MR gladiators to use non-extend with this because you need to compensate with the significant decrease in damage. With Non-extend, you can go hybrid Critical/Magic Resist, preferably 1,100 crit and the rest socket full MR manastones. With this build, you won't be able to resist everything but you will resist those annoying debuffs from clerics, gladiators, and templars. You might even resist some sorcerers, spiritmasters, gunslingers, aethertechs and even assassins if they are under geared.
    D. HP BUILD
    • This manastone set up is the same with magic resist build meaning you will need to stack full HP for it to be effective. Again, you will need end game PVP gear for this build. You would also need a +8 plume or higher. The higher, the better. This build goes great with second wind because second wind heals your overall HP by 35%. You can also go hybrid but remember to keep your crit around 950-1,100 then socket the remaining slots with HP manastones. I recommend using non-extend for this build.
    E. PARRY BUILD
    • This manatone set up isn't that great for gladiators. This build is viable against melee class only. However, parry build does make you survive longer and gives you a higher chance of using your parry skills; namely, Spite strike, Vengeful strike and Counter Leech. These 3 skills do good amount of damage. However, you already have a parry buff (i.e.Wall of Steel) for that if you want to use these skills. If you want to increase your chances of using those 3 parry skills, then stack parry. Again, it really all comes down to your personal preferences. But i wouldn't suggest gladiators to use this build mainly for 3 reasons:
    1. Losing damage.
    2. Parry doesn't affect all classes. For example. If you're up against magic-base classes, like songweavers/sorcerers, etc. This build won't help you at all.
    3. Block/HP/MR builds do a better job in helping you tank than parry build.

F. BLOCK BUILD
    • This build requires you to have Elite Principal's/Principal set/s. This build is optional. I normally use this build just for fun or just for tanking like a templar. This build is most effective if you use shield + mace with your set. It also enables you to use Shield Defense which also supports your block build. You can mix this build with Critical/Block; however, I do not recommend using this build as a main build, especially if you only have one set as gladiators are better off with offensive builds.
    Builds for under geared players

Just go full offensive and don't even bother going for defensive builds. Reason for this is because your gear won't be enough to support it. For you under geared players, I would suggest using Attack/Accuracy/Critical build. In my opinion, a good glad doesn't really need to rely on having the best armor. If you're a good gladiator, you will kill your target before they even touch you. What's the point of having the best gear when you can do that, right? For gladiators, I wouldn't worry too much about armor. I recommend getting good accessories and weapon/s first and worry about armor last.

Here are my stats from my main build just to give you all an idea on what stats to aim for.

* With Extendable Weapon
    [​IMG]

* With Non-Extendable
    [​IMG]

IV. Godstones

The top 3 godstones for gladiators would be Khrudgelmir's Silence, Bollvig's Love, and Ereshkigal's Honor.

Godstone: Khrudgelmir's Silence
    [​IMG]
    • Adds a weapon effect that silences the target for 10 seconds with 10% probability.
    • My #1 choice as a gladiator. When it comes down to godstones, you would want to use something that helps you with dealing against your counter class (i.e. magic-based classes; such as sorcerers, spiritmasters, etc). This does not only help you in dealing against magic-base classes but against melee classes as well since it prevents them from using their buffs.
    Godstone: Bollvig's Love
    [​IMG]
    • Adds a weapon effect that blinds the target for 10 seconds with 10% probability.
    • Blind is also another good godstone for gladiators. However, this godstone only works against melee classes.
    Godstone: Ereshkigal's Honor
    [​IMG]
    • Adds a weapon effect that paralyzes the target for 5 seconds with 2% probability.
    • One of the most preferred godstone for gladiators. This godstone works on all classes. Although, you have to be careful of how you use your stumble skills if your target is paralyzed. If you stumble your target while it's in a paralyzed state the effect of this godstone will cancel.

V. Idians
    You can acquire idians in many ways: From crafting, from the officer shop in Kaisinel Acedemy (Elyos) / Marchutan Priory (Asmo) or from the webshop. However, 2 of the best idians available in game can be bought from either the officer shop or the webshop.

Golden Idian Booster: Physical Attack
    [​IMG]
    • You can get this idian from the officer shop in Kaisinel Acedemy (Elyos) / Marchutan Priory (Asmo).
    • Gives you 2-3 physical attack stat points. Also a small chance of gaining stats for other abilities.
    - Chance: 10%
    * Physical Attack +6 / Crit Strike +26 / Strike Resist +26
    * Physical Attack +6 / Crit Strike +26 / Magic Suppression +55
    - Chance: 12.5%
    * Physical Attack +6 / Accuracy +44 / Strike Resist +26
    * Physical Attack +6 / Accuracy +44 / Magic Suppression +55
    * Physical Attack +6 / PvP Attack +0.2% / Strike Resist +26
    - Chance: 5%
    * Physical Attack +6 / PvP Attack +0.5% / Magic Suppression +55
    * Crit Strike +26 / Accuracy +44 / Strike Resist +26
    * Crit Strike +26 / Accuracy +44 / Magic Suppression +55
    * Crit Strike +26 / PvP Attack +0.2% /Strike Resist +26
    - Chance: 5%
    * Crit Strike +26 / PvP Attack +0.5% /Magic Suppression +55
    Glossy Esoteric Idian: Physical Attack
    [​IMG]
    • You can buy this idian from the webshop for 400 credits per piece.
    • This gives you 2-3 physical attack stat points. There is also a small chance of receiving stat points for other abilities.
    * Possible random bonuses:
    * Physical Attack +10 / Crit Strike +46 /Accuracy +59
    - Chance: 20%
    * Physical Attack +10 Crit Strike +46
    * Crit Strike +50 Accuracy +59
    - Chance: 15%
    * Physical Attack +9 Crit Strike +42
    - Chance: 15%
    * Crit Strike +46 Accuracy +56
    * PvP Attack +0.7% Physical Attack +10

VI. Tips and Tricks
    Here's a video I made that you might find useful. Practice and try it out for yourself.

Very important note
    Weave, weave, weave, and weave some more..
    A. Weaving is a must for gladiators
    • Why? Because it helps you deal more damage over time and also it saves you from draining your MP like a sorcerer. If you'll just spam skills, you're not only limiting your damage but you will lose a lot of MP. Other tricks that were shown on the video are useful too; however, it is not mandatory to do them.
    B. What to look for in fighting other classes
    - In this content, I will discuss what to watch out for and some tips on how to deal with them. I won't explain or show how to kill each and every class because everyone has their own ways of doing it. It's better if you learn through firsthand experience than actually reading on how to deal with certain classes.
    • Gladiators - When fighting a gladiator, it all comes down to ping and damage. Again, weave a lot to maximize your damage. Also, whoever stumbles the most and procs the godstone the most, wins.
    • Templars - When fighting a templar, you will need to know when to attack and when to start kiting. Make use of anti-shock scrolls when you feel like they are going to pull you. Timing is the key. Be very cautious with your Berserking. Don't try and go head on with a templar when you see him using their damage buffs and getting ready to burst you. 1 or 2 pulls can easily counter you and all that loss of defense from using berserking is only going to help the templar deal more damage on you. The best time to DPS a templar would be when he has already used all his pulls on you. Make sure you note when he uses his pull skill and count down the cool down of that skill. Let them pull you. Once that's done, go ahead and buff up and try your best to take them down.
    • Gunslingers - You would want to make gunslingers use their remove shock first before you do. You gotta be quick with this class and do not hesitate to use heavy cool down skills with gunners. Pretty much watch out for their stuns and silences.
    • Assassins - The same goes with fighting this class. Make them use remove shock first before you do. Don't hesitate to use Unwavering Devotion or any long cool down skills. Especially on this server, a lot of assassins call you "noob" for using UD when it's one of the most important skills to use as a gladiator. Watch out for their stun locks. Just because you have UD on doesn't mean they can't stun lock you through it.
    • Rangers - With rangers, watch out for their sleep traps, immobilization traps, and blind traps. As a gladiator, you might find a lot of rangers easy to kill but never underestimate anyone. Rangers can kill a gladiator too if they know how to make use of their traps and bursts. With this class, pretty much knock them off their feet, stumble and disable them as much as possible before they can even shoot an arrow on you or even have the time to set traps.
    • Songweavers - This class is probably one of the hardest class to fight against with. Save your MP pots and time it properly since they're known for taking your MP away. Again with this class, disable them, knock them off they're feet, weave your skills like your life depends on it!!! Also, watch out for their Composer's Bar since this skill disables you from attacking for 5 sec. Just kite it off. Another skill to watch out for is Staggered Rest which paralyzes you for 5 secs with an 8 sec. delay.
    • Spiritmasters - Ok.. For Spiritmasters, you will need to go Super Saiyan mode on them! This class is one of the hardest class to fight. With this class, you'll have a pretty low chance of winning. However, if you're fast enough, burst this class down as fast as possible make them wish they never met a Gladiator like you. Show no mercy with this class. (LOL!) One thing you gotta look out for is Spirit Substitution or Spirit Command: Bodyguard I. Don't waste time attacking with this buff on because it won't do anything. It would be faster to just kill their pet first then proceed to attacking the SM.
    • Sorcerers - With this class, you would need to burst down their stone skin first and deal as much damage possible before they sleep/immobiliize you. Watch out for Wintry. I see a lot of gladiators with extendable weapons running up so close while the sorcerer has Wintry up and attacking them. Wintry will not effect you if you're standing 6 meters away from the sorcerer.
    • Clerics - A good cleric will bury their blind on you. Be careful with that and save your Greater Healing potion if this happens. Bait out their remove shock, and go for stun/stumble lock when possible.
    • Chanters - Pretty much the same with clerics. You should know when to burst chanters. They will use skills that slows down your attack to make you attack like a turtle. The same with killing clerics, you will need to bait out their remove shock. However, chanters have a skill that acts like a remove shock, called Rise I. You have to observe and be aware when and how long they have used their Remove Shock/Rise. Go for a stumble lock if possible and do as much damage on them. Again, remember to weave your skills to max out your DPS since this class is known for their heals. Burst them down and stumble them to prevent them from healing.
    • Aethertechs - One of the most important buffs you have to watch out against ATs is their buff called Absorbing Reflector Shield I which reduces the target's MP by 600 with every hit received for 10 sec. Just kite off this buff.
    * Things you should NOT do as a Gladiator

- Don't use lock down on a caster. It's useless because it doesn't do anything. Use Body Smash chain skill instead.
    - Don't use stumble skills when your opponent is in a Remove Shock state, wait until the skill duration is cooled off then use them.
    - Don't use Wall of Steel unless it's a melee class.
    - Don't use Magic Defense unless you're fighting a Magic Boost type class.

That's it for my gladiator guide. If you have any questions/comments, feel free to post (Just no flaming/spamming).
    Thank you!

Special thanks to @Kyungmii @Purell for helping me put this guide together.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Witch

Witch Scarlet Witch

Awesome guide David, will definitely take advice from this guide if I ever decide to play glad =p

3. cocosul

cocosul Guest

just...wintry range is 5 m....extend spear is 6:D good guide anyway! now i can defend gladiatarz:D

4. Kyungmi

Kyungmi ♥♥♥ Forum Legend

This:

Witch likes this.
  5. cocosul

cocosul Guest

• Sorcerers - With this class, you would need to burst down their stone skin first and deal as much damage possible before they sleep/immobiliize you. Watch out for Wintry. I see a lot of gladiators with extendable weapons running up so close while the sorcerer has Wintry up and attacking them. Wintry will not effect you if you're standing 10 meters away from the sorcerer.
    just...wintry range is 5 m....extend spear is 6:D good guide anyway! now i can defend gladiatarz:D

anyway my comment was such an tip:D not saying the guide is wrong in any way:D hf:D i m not playing anyway:D

6. vesiinabox

vesiinabox Death be chillin bitches. Forum Legend

My personal preference for this class is to go full attack crit with dagger/ sword dual wield and go out and rekt full geared clerics in a single sharp strike chain or body combo + a few weaves ...like waaat you just full healed? I are sorry.. Or what 10k dmg shield gets fkd in literally a second lol. Sorry you are full block but my crits just don't care. For added fun add double para.

7. Rubyah

Rubyah The Celestial Nostrum

I like spoilers!!! Since nothing is free!!!!

Stickied for ya sir!!!

Kyungmi likes this.
  8. cocosul

cocosul Guest

u forgot the part with 20 ping:Dor well...19:p

Louy likes this.
  9. wolfik332

wolfik332 Expert

Lol you made me most happy newbie glad ever ... I started to play glad on EU retail and this thread will be like gold for me ... if its up to me I would like to give you credits for being so much helpful , but I am poor guy and student without money :p god bless you anyway :p

Rubyah likes this.
  10. Grrr

Grrr Highly Damaging Member Forum Legend

[​IMG]
    9.5/10, missing a few tiny details and some numbers are off.
    also a shit-ton of guides seem to be deleted, oh well..

Peach and Kyungmi like this.
  11. Louy

Louy ʍѳɴʂ†ɛʀ Forum Legend

Nice Guide, you just make me want to play gladiator :)

The only problem is, to do weave and all those jump things with 200 ~250 ms is hard :(

wolfik332, Kyungmi and Tykimik like this.
  12. Tykimik

Thanks for pointing that error out xD Spit = Spite

If there's anything else you want to add let me know :)

Kyungmi likes this.
  13. Kessie

Kessie alis volat propriis Forum Legend

Nice job, David!
    ~ Your guide made me want to play my noob gladi just a bit again D; ~

Tykimik likes this.
  14. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

Maybe you should then! Dirty songweaver :c

15. Kessie

Kessie alis volat propriis Forum Legend

Trye.

16. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

q_q .

17. Peach

Peach ขี้อาย

Good Job David ♥

Tykimik likes this.
  18. Tykimik

lol dirty songweaver.

@Kessiie gogo play glad!

Peach likes this.
  19. Peach

Peach ขี้อาย

Want to Play Gladdy Too HAHA:D:D:D

20. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Proficient

hmmm pretty good job but your tutorial on how to beat sms is kinda lacking so ill do my best to help a bit.
    a couple of points that can help is to always bury UD and strengthen wings (and if you can also berserking) against one otherwise its chain of earth stun +1 debuff (so u cant pot) then silence + root and game over...
    if you are a glad and you find yourself about to fight a sm who has full hp and all of his cds, i would just use your charge skill and run away from that fight... its not a fight you can win if the sm is at least decent...
    however if you are in a ffa area or something like that and you notice the sm has about 80% hp or less theres a good chance he has burnt his RS.
    if thats the case root the sm (hope he has earthen call down) and go for aether hold and keep him stunned, usually in that situation if the glad has good dmg the sm will die
    a couple of things u should know about sms...
    1) your root is a magic skill and sms have a magic resist skill (although they will rarely waste it against a glad don't be to surprised if it does not land)
    2) earthen call - removes all movement related debuffs and grants us 80% chance to resist any others you try to land (meaning if we use this to get out of your root i would not waste your slow as well cuz it'll probably get resisted)
    3) flames of anguish - when you stun a sm and they remove shock they get a 10m ranged insta fear... while the duration is quite short it is enough for them to cast a regular fear or fear shriek (you dont want to be in that situation)
    4) when a sm bgs/subs against a glad it means he has lots of cds and hes probably desperate... if he has earth spirit out it will be extremely hard to win but most sms will have wind spirit out.
    if thats the case try to aoe both him and the spirit (which has about 10k hp non buffed) if your dps is amazing you might somehow survive this (note that the sm has 2 full insta heals for his spirit and another 10 sec cd 3.8k heal)
    5) this one is about ffa- if you are lucky and the ffa is crowded and you see a sm not already engaged in combat but with enemies near him its quite safe to attack him.
    sm is the first target of everyone and glad isnt really high on that list so theres about a good 90% chance that people will try to take the sm down and not you...
    while it's a dirty way to kill a sm as a glad you really have no choice.

tl:dr
    if you are a glad and you see a sm not already engaged in a combat with someone else and with full hp... just run away...

Dementa and Peach like this.