1. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ultimate Discussion: Polearm VS Greatsword

Discussion in 'GamezAION General Discussion' started by Iriga, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iriga

Iriga New Member

Hi to all Gladiators!
    Were born several discussions between my friends and me about this topic.
    So it's time to hear your opinion:
    Polearm VS Greatsword
    Obviously we are talking about pvp, then let us know what you use and why you like it!

..Who will win? :pouty:

2. Coldblooded

Coldblooded ~Blood Voyeur~

when i used to play gladiator i liked to use spear more because it has a higher crit rate than greatsword, although greatsword has a higher parry and accuracy bonus, i still like the spear's higher crit bonus more.

3. Slplss

Slplss Proficient

Personally, I choose to use a spear because of the fact that it does much more damage, a higher crit rate, and honestly just looks cooler. Sure, greatsword has more accuracy, but that's why a lot of glads stack accuracy, i stack it in my spear and my glad plays just fine.

so in my opinion:
    Spear > Greatsword

4. Silverfox

Silverfox ࿇Mind ᚾ ߙ ᚾ Trickery࿇

wth... >.> blah

None and both, it depends on your ping.
    But well you got more % of wining if you have a greatsword obviously against a gladiator with a spear(polearm).

BUT you have to use more than just your spear or just your greatsword in general pvp (agains the rest of the classes) you need like 3 great swords or 2 with 1 or 2 spears and a shield and a sword + like 3 sets im using 2 but im thinking i might need 1 more against an specific class that is getting on my nerves obviously everything with different manastones and godstones but if your ping is low (30/10ms) then your might not need all that. but yes at least 2 sets.

5. Badrobot

Badrobot SNU SNU

Greatsword: Good accuracy,good attack speed,weaker than a spear but without damage fluctuation.

Spear: Lower accuracy,slower than a greatsword,stronger than the greatsword but the damage can vary from really high to really low. Check item description.

I prefer the spear,but greatsword is not really a bad choice either.

6. Aegis

Aegis Guest

Greatsword hands down @_@

7. Shunko

Shunko Expert

I don't pick spear because of the 'higher crit rate' thats something that can be solved with 3 manastones.
    I pick spear because it has alot more potentional burst damage and killing opponents as fast as possible is what i am aiming for.

1 person likes this.
  8. Zergme

Zergme Getting there

Check fade to black's guide. Spear and GS are better in certian situations then their counterpart. GS does perform better overall in 1 v 1 combat unless you're talking about extendible weapons the the extendible spear (flat out best weapon for gladiator) takes the prize.
    Those who tend to lean twords one weapon over the other just likes the advantages the weapon gives but both GS and spear can be used just as effectively as the other weapon. Although I'd suggest GS for people with lower ping and wings of the circle for a devastating assassin-like attack speed and stumblelock possibilities.

Untrue as spear has the potential to do alot more OR alot less then a GS. Since it's Min dmg is way lower then a GS. GS has a constant stream of balanced dmg where spear is much more random. ALso GS has faster atk speed and animations. So TBH they both have the potential to kill fast when used in the right way. One does not kill slower then the other unless you're comparing a non accuracy spear vs an accuracy GS hitting a full block cleric.

9. Nujabes

Nujabes Well-Known Member

This. It's rare for the spear to do just 'low' damage. IMO I felt slower with the GS, maybe cause of the animation changes. Extendable spears all the way for me. Low accuracy is not an issue for me since I'm generally socketed on crit and accuracy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Downfall

Downfall Well-Known Member

I prefer Greatsword for the added aspd and accuracy means I don't have to stack accuracy to have a decent amount and I attack faster :3

11. kakashipta

kakashipta Proficient

wtf ?
    /facepalm

12. Zyphre

Zyphre Getting there

I have a 50 ping. I think that you will find yourself more successful in 90% of situations with a spear. The factors to consider are potential for burst, range ( higher on spear) and the way attack speed affects your animations. With gs certian animations are in fact faster - absorbing fury, and the other aoes; everything else is somewhat normalized comparatively to the weapon ( i do a wrathful chain faster with 1.5 speed on a spear than .9 with a a dagger for example) Overall you will be just under the speed of your spear losing potential for damage. Glads have to manage their dps carefully to take down skilled players... If you blow your load on a stumble and each hit is doing 200dmg less than it could be, chances are you wont get the kill.

1 person likes this.
  13. Noonie

Noonie Proficient

Yea Its all how you feel like playing bro, but Zyph is right, A spear spike is lethal. Were as a GS is more level dmg so you will know what to expect.

14. Rikisa

Rikisa New Member

Well For me I switch depending on the situation For Example.

Gsword = Killing mages and other light armor players
    Spear = For heavy armor Like templars and gladiators

But for me I Love Gsword ^^
    With Circle wings your the grim reaper himself lol

15. kyraamin21

kyraamin21 8=======================D Forum Legend

Extendable spear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.