1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

wanna learn a new thing

Discussion in 'Programming Lounge' started by Jessica, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica

Jessica Respected Member Forum Legend

Lately I've been thinking of doing side-stuffs besides the studies and the work I'm doing(not gonna go in detail on that, kinda personal anyway). And I've thought hey I could totally do something like creating websites? I already know a few things about html concepts like tags elements attributes etc.etc I've been reading some for a while when I get some extra time on my extra time...and I've downloaded this software notepad++ because of a recommendation from a friend and I've already made a few .html files that display some text. Now... I could just do it myself and google more but I then remembered this place where I also have read a few threads about PHP and etc and HTML yes! Someone made something here before so I thought maybe I could get tips and links to where guys like you (knowledge of stuffs like this) usually hang out like a forum like this or a site where I can find more reading materials and etc. So that's it I'm going to hit the bed been oddly late up tonight and I still gotta get up a bit early tomorrow and uhm thanks to whoever read this and thought of helping or not. Going to lurk here tomorrow and also check if anyone replied. Good night Gamez!

Noyah likes this.
  2. Ddraig

Ddraig Steel of Destiny

I think you may first need to ask yourself what type of websites you want to make. There is a myriad of styles and ways to do so, some require a wide knowledge of graphics design and graphic software, while others rely mostly in the program side. I have a friend that, like me is graphic designer, but he found more profit in doing only the integration and management of the website and hiring a bunch of professionals to do the grunt work. Since a while, he has never again done any form of graphic design. So the point I am trying to make is in what part of the whole process you wanna be.

3 people like this.
  3. Grrr

Grrr Highly Damaging Member Forum Legend

shut up and come play lumiel.

1 person likes this.
  4. Slyther

Slyther Oculus Ex Inferni Forum Legend

Piece of advice, Notepad++ might be a great starting tool but it's that, a starting tool. If you want to program in a specific language, you're better off looking for a language-specific IDE like Netbeans for Java, Code::Blocks or Visual Studio for C/C++, etc. So my best guess is you should use Adobe Dreamweaver, get a hold of a few tutorials of how to do things here and there. I'm not a fan of webpage coding so I don't know the extent of dreamweaver, but as far as I understand it should help a lot.

Another thing is what Mr Dragon said, there's such a variety of webpage styles and purposes you'd have to be a lot more specific. Now as I said, other than pointing out the IDE or extremely basic stuff I'm no use in this topic, it's just not my thing D:

1 person likes this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Steel of Destiny

Dreamweaver is great, but keep in mind its a software for web integration. Means you need to use photoshop, flash, and other programming tools to get the best of it. By itself is a neat html compiler and debugger, and the feature that helps people the most, is that it does not strictly require that you be a full time coder. It allows you to work with pure graphic interfaces, code interface, and a mix of both. It also comes with all the tools for testing and publishing. Later versions allow you to even export directly to wordpress or joomla if you want. I have to admit that I am out of touch with web design since is not my major, and haven't been in the circle since maybe more than 2 years, so I am not up to date, no idea really what the latest dreamweaver or flash looks like.

1 person likes this.
  6. Frix

Frix 고독한 Forum Legend

Joseph please.

7. Jessica

Jessica Respected Member Forum Legend

Thanks for the reply. I could totally see myself as a graphic designer, I do a lot of tweaking on my photos using online tools.. its embarassing but when I was in highschool I did fancy frames and made collages of me and my classmates' photos my brother has a cracked installation of photoshop on my desktop computer. Although I really think you are giving me a very great advice I just really wanted learn this new thing which is programming or coding as they say it. I guess I am not yet there at the point where I have to be serious and that I have to choose a path from many. I just want to travel em all like a free spirit right now.

okay okay but I aint gonna shut up just yet haha

Thanks for the advice. I will do so as you say. I was on fb after I posted this and was chatting with a friend who used to play here as well. She also told me to get this software and that I'd enjoy this new experience. Oh well, I'm really excited. Oh yes well like I said to my reply to Ddraig I think for now I will not think of the serious business behind this and just do the free spirit thingy. I just have too much stress in real life that I just really want this to be fruitful and relishing.

I see , I see. Noted. Will read more on this. Bye gotta google.

Noyah likes this.
  8. foditomi2

foditomi2 New Member

If you are new to programming CODEACADEMY is a great place to start :)

9. Arceus

Arceus New Member

I can teach you CSS and xHTML, but the books that I wrote are in portuguese...PT-BR...

Free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.