1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moderation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by loboram, Jul 15, 2020.

1. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/moderation
    That is the very definition of that word.

While I understand that some players have felt that I am not a good moderator, I can only point to my previous posts and comments on the forum. That they are pretty much all alike, and because I am not a "robot-beige-sheep", but an individual, I will live MY life according to my values, and they are very much against the whole corruption of the internet in general. You see if the internet was a place where people could take each other at their word, then there wouldn't be a need to have moderators at all, since NObody would be intolerant, abusive or break the rules of the site they were on.

Now we are into a grey area, unfortunately there are Many different cultures, and therefore lots more ideas on how a society should function. I myself think that there should only be One world government, one police force, one bank, and no more of this petty tribalism of Nationalism. I have absolutely nothing against any specific cultures, or nationalities, I just hate all humans equally; BECAUSE they choose to live in a world with corruption, war, poverty, starvation, homelessness, hopelessness, and even in the very face of an extinction event as is happening right now, humans have completely ignored the scientific facts and continue onwards doing "as they always have".

That is my Whole point here; "as they/we always have done". How is this a meassure of progress, or inovation, or even evolving into something better, when things will always stay the same? IF humans started being open and honest towards each other, Without insisting on behaving abusively, then humanity would start to finally move forwards. I live that way because that is what I want to, now I am not spewing out cursing obscenities at people around me, because only a complete dumbarse-prick would do something like that, yet here on the internet humans do it ALL the time as if it is the Most "normal" thing to do.

I just speak my mind and feel no need to be rude about it; Aaaand here we go, with the lot of humans who want to say that they have felt really badly treated by me. I am aware that there have been a few instances, where I did "jump the gun" and made an assumption about the content of a thread/post. I have however apologized each time I realized that, and I did it to the person I might have offended. BUT there is a huge difference between dealing with actual people, and spoiled-bratty-humans who behave very loathsomely in their very first thread post, and continue to do so throughout the thread. I cannot have the "bot-like" quality of someone, who is able to answer ALL posts and threads in the EXACT same way each time, because I am NOT A BOT. So when I do get carried away and start a rant on someone's thread or post, then I am aware (afterwards), that I should probably not have done that, but it is still a Forum, and like any other player I am still able to give my personal opinions here as ANYone else can.

I am not receiving any compensation for the time I spend looking at this forum, so the title of Moderator is merely a formality, and could be taken away from me at any time "without any fuzz". The moment I receive compesation in some form, and I am no longer on a volunteer basis, I would have a completely different set of ideals to work from, as in then I would indeed have a professional obligation to do my very best, to not interfere in the forum at all as a Staffmember, but Only moderate when I am logged in as this forum profile.

So...this brings me to why I made this thread:
    "if you think twice before writing nonsense you may not wonder why people interpret your intentions in a hundred different ways than you really intended although your intention was exactly as stated...you have the tendency to express every thought that comes to your mind without thinking about the consequences. i see how you treat the people here in the forum and you need to start showing respect cause your title doesnt give you the privilege to treat people with utter disrespect as you do and believe me it will not stay long if you continue on this negative path (i've been here since 2010 and i know how things work around here). rest a bit and stop thinking that only your opinion matters or everything you say makes sense, cause lets be honest... thats not true and nobody cares.
    ps
    i'm surprised you don't have the basic knowledge to attach an image without its link..."
    @Jessica
    Hello Jessica, I am just wondering why you chose to address the thread, trying to stand up for someone who wasn't actually being "attacked" in any way? You say that I am saying nonsense, and yet you also mention in the very same sentence; "although your intention was exactly as stated", which is factual nonsense. How would you, or Anyone else for that matter, KNOW without any doubt Exactly what I mean, when all you have is a written word to conclude anything from? Could it possibly be that you JUST want to lash out at me, because you do not "like" me, even though you have NO idea of who I am at all? Also then you purposely add that little nugget there at the end; "you don't have the basic knowledge to", but why? Why be so obviously offensive and rude, when I haven't done ANYthing at all, but write a small comment on a great image, and a question. Seriously, I wrote that ANYONE could make an account to just take images of nicely made Characters, simply because it is a FACT. I didn't insinuate anything negatively into that sentence at all, and the first reaction to it was way over the top, which is why I immediately answered and tried to make it Absolutely clear, what it was that I meant, and why I am now doing this.

"Do you realize there are people which English is not their native language and more likely second or even third?
    Laboram is not native English speaker and its obvious, people who use English as their second language usually translates their native language directly into English, which could sound completely different from what the speaker intentions really are.
    Also people using English as their second will likely have a problem to express themselves fully with it, especially if the only way they learn it is through the internet.
    Bashing a non native english speaker because he wasnt "nicest" person in the universe is plain out ignorance."
    @Klauda
    Hello Clownda, you see how it is already rude once you start off like that? Yeah, I do know how it feels when you have to speak a language that is not your first language, and how frustrating it can be when you feel that you have to limit yourself to the most basic expressions, and never to be fully able to express exactly what you feel. I speak several languages, and have been in many different countries. So what I would like to ask you is Very simple: "Bashing a non native english speaker because he wasnt "nicest" person in the universe is plain out ignorance." When was I Bashing anyone, whom are you referring to exactly, and what do you mean exactly when you say "not the "nicest" person"?

Now these two are perfect examples of what NOT to do; Lashing out at someone for a reason that you feel you are entitled to.
    Neither of these two posts have anything in them that is constructive, or even kind in any way, they are merely about being offensive towards someone they perceive to be offensive, Not towards them, but against someone else. Now they Will argue that they are Absolutely right about what they think, because they can read what I wrote. The thing is; "...because in absolutely NO way did I intend for you to feel attacked or antagonized in any way. As I have pointed out now quite obviously, that I meant it Exactly as it is written. Nothing to interpret or figure out. Too bad that there aren't ways to gauge people's bodylanguage or tone of voice in a written word.", this was my response and it did not work at all as intended, because it promted the onslaught of humans, that thought they should immediately come to the "rescue" of their "online-friend" (you cannot really be friends with someone you have not met and continually hang out with in real-life), hence this whole problem. I actually apologized AND told the reasoning behind my comment, but yet here we are, guess humans really only see what they want.

These humans are acting out of an altruistic point of view, and I do admire that, but the thing with mobs (tribalism) is that, it really doesn't take that much for the whole thing to be based on an outright lie or a wrongful assumption; namely the assumption that I am being harsh, negatively loaded, angry, patronizing, belittling, impolite, rude, abusive, or "trolling". Which as I mentioned is ENTIRELY in the eye of the reader, because there is NO way for any of you to know, Without any doubt, what I intended with my written words. There is no tone of voice to hear, or bodylanguage signals to read into, it is JUST a written word.

And so we come to an end...Why I do what I do, what I think of this response, and what I would like in its stead;
    Just merely the most basic mutual understanding that unless it is "spelled out", with rude and abusive comments, the written word is NOT meant for interpretation, as well as the most basic understanding that, it is not a helpful thing to augment ("pile on") a bad situation, making it much worse.

Now that goes for both the people who agree with a response, and for humans who just want to spew out some "hate" onto another user of the forum.

Yeah, I do make a distinct difference between "humans" and "people", since the first is the term for a species which is (scientific fact) just an animal with a slightly bigger brain than most for their size, and the latter is an individual who surely is an animal like the species from whence they arose, BUT they CHOOSE to be more than their base components, by questioning the basics of their culture, their society, their world-history in general, and who remain curious to life and all its wonders (science is a good way to exame that but not a necessity). Leading these extremely few individuals, to elevated the ENTIRE rest of the human species to where we currently are. Namely the intelligent ones. While the "rest" I call mere "sheep", because ALL they want is to fit into the current society, and keep everything working as it is right now, nothing changing and nothing that would upset their daily routines, especially if it would require them to do anything out of the ordinary.

So, now that I have gotten that off my chest, I welcome you all to pour out your expected hatred onto my own personal opinion, because it is your right to disagree with any and all I have written here as you see fit.

I will however say that it is, as always, not allowed to deviate from the standard forum rules. So no need to go crazy here, if you are simply unable to answer this thread at all without needing to spew out all sorts of abusive language, or just being extremely belittling, patronizing, or anything that would violate the most basic "common sense", then I would advise you not to answer at all. HOWEVER you are most welcomed to answer as a journalist, or an interrogator, or a fellow forum-user who just wants to say something to ANYthing I wrote in this LONG rant, as long as it is being constructive, not necessarily nice or agreeing, but just keep it constructive.

Now see that? I managed to make this Very Moderated. No abusive language. No need to "go all aggro" on someone else. No need to spew out some weird agenda. Just plain "thoughts on paper", well it is indeed ones and zeroes divided into blocks, and sent...oh well you can read about the workings of computers and the internet somewhere else.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. Klauda

Klauda New Member

I just want to point one thing about all this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Change this and all these numbers are going to change for the worse, economy doesnt like communism, poor people doesnt like communism, poor and starving doesnt need communism, no one needs communism.

3. loboram

WOW, at NO point did I mention Communism, and if you are going to say that was what I meant, you have obviously completely missed the whole point. Just to make it absolutely clear, no matter what quote you can provide me with about ANY existing or failed past governing method, that is not what I mean, because there is a reason they ALL fail, even so called democracy.

Also just want to tell you that for Every chart and graph you can find saying one thing, I am sure I can find one that says the opposite, just one last thing, if you really want to include things that have to be verifiable, the very least you can do is supply the link to the site from where you got the information.

But I DO really like your response, it is both informative AND construtive :D

4. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

(keep in mind I have no idea what sparked this response)

Luckily, as a mod (or not), you don't necessarily have to justify yourself or your actions. Not to take away from the post or anything but.. If you moderated something, that's all that needs to be done. If you started shit on something then you just have to evaluate yourself, and again, there is no need to justify it to anyone. If it makes you feel better then so be it.

loboram and Ethereal like this.
  5. loboram

I am perfectly aware of this, and to be completely fair, if it hadn't been for the colossal misunderstanding that lead to this long rant, I wouldn't have had any reason to do anything at all. But there was a serious misunderstanding, and it lead me to realize that Many people of this forum, Truly resent me as a person. Which is really odd because it is Entirely based on what they INTERPRET from what I write, so not actually the words or the meaning of the sentences, But what is behind them, what I am Really saying. Which is absolutely delusional!

Imagine having to go through life, whenever someone speaks to you, or you read something, it is NEVER what is being said or what is written, but there is ALWAYS some mysterious foul purpose behind it all, designed to somehow damage you.

By the way, they are seriously hating another person, they have Never met, never spoken to, have No clue who is, and yet they have the complete insanity to want to do harm to that person. An utter and complete stranger. That would be like going out into the street, and the first person you see that you do not recognize from around your area, you instantly run up to and start shouting at and/or, like most humans do, just attack physically.

So I really thought it was about time that I said my peace, hoping that these people would eventually stop trying to interpret what I WRITE, and instead just accept that I am NOT like the other ones on this planet. Which means that I have my way to deal with things, and sure I know that when it comes to moderation I do not HAVE to justify anything, but it seems like a Really bad trend for a company or business or just a Private Server, to start treating all its players without remorse or conscience, just arbitrarily deleting posts without any reason, and for them to have no way for the community OR the staff to hear what is going on, because it just keeps getting deleted or they get banned for trying to talk to the staff about why, what is going on, how, when...and so on.
    Completely fair questions to ask, but it takes like a minute to write back, and answer them, if the player then continually keeps asking the same questions, and only then, can the party be excused for doing everything in a "humane" manner, having given the player and/or themselves the peace-of-mind, that should be common sense.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. Dementa

Dementa Providence Forum Legend

Unfortunately, words alone aren't the best form of communication. In person it's much easier; your demeanor, subtle mannerisms and such are very telling when it comes to what someone means when they say something. We don't have that luxury on the internet, so we all just have to make ourselves as clear as possible when writing. Quite honestly if someone takes something you say in a wild new direction, it's their own fault anyway lmao. Delete their post, tell them why, if they want to start more shit then too bad. I was a sup. mod here for a long time, sooo I know how dumb people can be sometimes as well.

CLANNADaniel, Ethereal and loboram like this.
  7. loboram

I thank you for your insights, and most of all for being constructive. On a personal note, I am extremely grateful that someone can understand, to some degree, what I have been through, and hopefully, a bit about why I do what I do.

Dementa likes this.