1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Exponential Data usage

Discussion in 'Problems' started by Dhattura, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Dhattura

Dhattura New Member

Hi. I’m new to the server as of November. Since then, I have noticed a dramatic upswing in my data usage via my ISP data monitor. I’ve recently researched how much data BDO uses (retail), and that equates to roughly 5gb per 24hr period. Conversely, I have totaled at, or to the excess of 100gb of data usage in a 24hr period in this version.

I only use my pc for gaming and haven’t had an issue until I started this version of BDO. I don’t have anything else downloading — other than Windows updates — in the background, nor do I stream my game. I run a virus scan on my pc normally, and have run a thorough offline scan when the massive data total was noticed.

I’ve included a shot of my usage for suspension of disbelief. I really hope it’s as simple as changing a file, disabling one/several, or (the extreme) uninstall/reinstall to repair this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

F3243C26-5A4F-43D8-98AD-90F2AB3EF22D.jpeg

2. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

Why is it a problem?

3. Luff

Luff - ᴛʜᴇ ғɪᴢᴢ - Forum Legend

This 'simple' graph looks pretty ambushy and borderline as if you're blaming GamezBDO for your extreme spike in data usage. Check your own stuff before you point fingers at someone else, because usually and always it's the users fault. I have no problems like you're showing here - what-so-ever.

4. Dhattura

Dhattura New Member

I appreciate your passion, however, I have cast no stones. I was just asking for help, or an idea of how much data the game may cost some on a typical day. Could very well be my ISP overcharging my data, but I will not know unless I have an idea of a baseline.
    Sorry I asked.

I only have 1024gb of data to use on my current plan before an overage charge.

5. Smartik1

Smartik1 Walking F.A.Q. Forum Legend

Several places I would check depending on your OS:

1. Resource Monitor (just run it from start menu) -> Network tab. You can sort processes by current upload/download speed.
    2. Settings -> Data Usage - > Usage Details (Windows 10 only) shows total data consumption by application.
    3. Task Manager -> Processes -> Sort on network column
    4. Task Manager -> App History -> Sort on network column

This should give you an idea as to which application wasted the most data. Leave the game running while checking the active speeds to see if it is contributing. This guide shows steps/screenshots for most of these:
    https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-track-network-usage-in-windows-10-without-third-party-tools/

Know that some games (as well as Windows Updates) are set up to seed the client for other users (because companies are too lazy to host the files). This can also contribute to data usage. There are Windows settings that let you specify that you are on a metered connection. This can lock down seeding and excessive data usage.

Dhattura likes this.
  6. Deya

Deya Getting there

Wow that was a pretty rude response to someone asking for help. @Dhattura stated that it could be other problems. It sounds to me they were trying to find some answers not blaming Gamez but trying to eliminate possibilities. You could have done as others did (@Smartik1 ) and offered some options to look into. You also assume Dhattura did not look into other points of usage. A hostile response isn't helpful at all. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Smartik1 and Dhattura like this.
  7. Dhattura

Dhattura New Member

I agree. I’d imagine staff as more helpful and less asinine in a perfect world, or server.
    While I’m far removed from expecting perfection, perhaps a modicum of respect wouldn’t be a far cry from expectations when a request of a user is brought forth requesting data to extrapolate.
    TLDR if you are a mod, at least pretend as if you have the capacity for thought process when you regurgitate your responses upon a thread.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019