1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

GamezBD in-game Moderation

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by loboram, Jul 24, 2020.

1. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

Well, I am so sorry for not knowing that my suggestions had to be made in here. I did read the rules and information, but I must have skipped over that part when I read it.

The reason I am making this post here, is because I think it is important for the entire staff to realize a few things, that might otherwise have escaped their grasp.

Mainly, first and foremost, that the GamezBD community is quite sensitive to the toxicity that still exists on the GamezBD EU server-chat.
    In FACT, I have personally had to witness more than 30 players in my guild, and newcomers to the community in general, who had to leave GamezBD because of the toxicity on the server-chat, and mostly because the Staff of GamezBD seemed to be Completely ignorant to the problem, or just ignoring players who fell victim to the problem.

I have NO problem with actual jokes and a bit of banter on the server-chat, but consistently allowing abusive language and harassment, is now the "standard problem solving" in the eyes of these MANY MANY players, who left the Retail-BDO server, to escape that sort of dumbarse behavior, only to find it thriving here on GamezBD, which I have personally endorsed as an oasis from such toxicity.

While ALL humans and people have different "standards" towards what should be allowed and what shouldn't, it is blindingly apparent to me that the current meassures aren't enough, and that it is affecting a rather large part of the community. I think that the GamezBD player numbers could be at least 50% higher at all times, if only something was done about this problem.

It really shouldn't be that difficult:
    ALL players get one or maybe two friendly warnings in the server-chat, and after that they get muted.
    1st time for 15 minutes.
    2nd time for 30 minutes.
    3rd time for 1 hour.

IF the player continues their "bad" behavior, then it is an official warning and the points, towards banning, start counting.
    1st Official Warning on the website account equals 1 day temporary ban.
    2nd Official Warning on the website account equals 3 days temporary ban.
    3rd Official Warning on the website account equals 7 days temporary ban.

IF the player insists to continue behaving "badly", then their account is set to banned for upto a whole month. Then the player can appeal to the staff, why they should reopen the account, and what the player will do in the future to avoid receiving the final and permanent ban.

I think that there should be some sort of guidelines to what constitutes "bad" behavior (but personally I think everyone already knows what it is), since it will probably end up with this discussion anyway:

1. Anything that is objectively Abusive Language, with a few exceptions, such as "shit, crap, bullshit" and such "soft" cursing.

2. Anything that is Racist, Sexist, or discrimination of any group of people. Includes things such as "pussy, nerd, autistic, retard" and such things. It does NOT limit the English language in ANY way, it is just a meassure to ensure that people treat each other with the most basic respect.

3. Anything that is actively incenting towards aggression, or "bad" behavior, such as "comeon do it, yeah more, let them have it", which is clear mob/tribal behavior that should not be rewarded.

It is allowed to discuss things on the server-chat, it is allowed to use other languages than the international language of English, it is allowed to make fun of each other (without the need to be abusive), as is it allowed to banter with each other.
    So no "freedom of speech" is actually impaired, the players who insist that it is their right to speak only in abusive and agressive language is being stopped, should not be allowed to have an open forum on GamezBD, because it is affecting other players who did not join GamezBD to see that sort of behavior run rampant.

2. Noyah

Noyah sɪᴍᴘʟᴇ ɪs ʙᴇsᴛ Forum Legend

That's okay, we were all new at some point and it's only natural not to know everything.

I usually check the EU server every day and the toxicity I see there is definitely excessive but at the same time we also can't empty the server of players. Some people are more sensitive to what is said in the chat and on the other hand whether you believe it or not, there are those who are waiting for the ignorance to take over the chat because either they have a common denominator of "oh I am down to bully all of you" or they are just don't think that the content may be personally offensive to people who have experienced all kinds of traumas. Now even though you think we are ignoring what is happening on the server, it is not true and I personally ban people every day for being toxic towards the server or players, for constant insults and harassment, racism and so on.

Not everything that is offensive to you is offensive to me or to other people. Each and every one of us sees things in different ways and we have to accept that we can't always get what we want. You know, I play on NA and if I don't like what I see in the chat, I block people without thinking twice and I don't simply ban people because I disagree with their black humor.

While you don't stop complaining about bullying and toxicity on the server, the measures you suggest will not deter them but will make them even more negative. Problematic people whose sole purpose is to turn the chat into a failed comedy movie at the expense of others will take the warning for granted. So, there is no such thing as a friendly warning. The only thing that deters such behavior is three temporary bans and then they will have to deal with a permanent one that will wipe out all their effort.
    II. Harassment / Racism / Other offensive language / Spam (GamezAION / BDO)
    (This requires substantial proof)

• These are dependent on the severity. Punishments may differ from this list.
    • First Offense: 48 hour temporary ban
    • Second Offense: 7 Day temporary ban
    • Third Offense: 14 Day temporary ban
    • Fourth Offense: Permanent Ban
    I disagree and I have no intention of banning people for saying "shit" or "crap". It is literally impossible to turn the chat into a magical kingdom where everything is pink and perfect. People express themselves in all sorts of ways and just because they choose to express themselves differently from you and what you are willing to accept doesn't not mean they should be muted or banned.
    Calling people "nerds" will not get anyone banned no matter what. As for the rest, it is all depends on the context and circumstances, therefore in most of the reports I ask to see a full screenshot of the whole conversation and not just part of it.
    Honestly? I don't know what to say. It feels like no one has the right to speak or express themselves anymore. I don't know why everything bothers you but we just can't make this change you are asking for. You say we don't take the EU situation seriously and that we simply ignore what is happening there, but on the other hand you can see that people are being banned for their behavior. That means we do take the situation seriously, but not every word you find "offensive" should end up in a temporarily ban.

3. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

I am VERY thankful for the answer, I truly am, although I do see that there have been some misunderstandings along the way as well.

So to clarify:
    The examples I have made are not specific examples, nor should they be taken literally. Also you seem to have read the swearing/cursing words part backwards, as I did say that "soft" cursing is alright, and that the meaning I was trying to convey was Excluding the words I then put in quotation marks.

It is Not Just me, and I am not a particularly "sensitive" person, have no idea where you got that idea from, I am merely speaking out for over hundreds of players who do not do so for themselves. They keep quiet Exactly because it is a "living organism" this whole language and slang, as well as "general behavior" what is acceptable and what is not. So in order for them to not be victimized, they keep quiet for the simple reason that they Will be victimized by the handful of dumbarses, that somehow get to dictate how the Entire Server-Chat channel should be running. So I do have to tell you that the number of dumbarses that are trolling, bullying, harassing, and so on, is Extremely low in comparison to the amount of players who would want to join our server and community, if it was free from that level of toxicity.

I am perfectly aware that it is impossible to "police the internet" as those spoiled brats keep saying, but it is really not something amazing I am asking for at all. I am merely asking for the same common sense mutual respect that people have for each other out in the real-world, but in One Private Server Chat channel. It isn't completely insane what I am asking for, although sometimes it does feel as if even the staff-members think this way about this quite simple request.

Look it is very simple, you have about 20-30 players in Total, who are continually behaving abusively towards the Entire Server Population. So when you say "empty our servers", I am not quite sure that you know exactly how many players are behaving this way, and how many more players would really want it to end.
    The real reason you will not see a thousand players rise up against this behavior, and join me in my quest to liberate the internet from dumbarseness, is the most basic of reasons; If/When I/We fail, they Will undoubtedly become targets and will have to leave in order to enjoy their time spent online.

I do not know if any of you (Staff-Members) have tried being hunted in real-life, whether you have had your lives threatened and had to hide, or whether you have had to just live with being mocked and hunted psycologically due to your personality, or colour of your skin, or because of your family, or any reason really. Well I have...and sure it makes me much more aware of other people being treated badly, but it sure as heck doesn't make me more "sensitive", quite the opposite, However I am now pretty much incapable to stand by and let someone else suffer because some dumbarsed piece of shaite spoiled brat, just chose to act out on another person for no reason at all.

Oops...sorry that got a whole lot more personal than intended...I really am just trying to make a change for the better, just here on GamezBD-EU-server. Just one place where players can feel free to Roleplay in the Open-game-World, without fear of dumbarseness, or victimization. Just one place where players can feel as if they are safe, and get to spend their time actually enjoying the server/community instead of being in fear of saying "the wrong thing".

I know to some people it sounds insane, and impossible, and that it will drive away more than half the population if it were to become a reality. But then I think that you are missing the point, and/or choosing to misunderstand my intentions. I am not calling for some "Big Brother is Watching" insane ideology, where "happiness is mandatory". I am just trying to meet the minimum requirements for respecting each other without the need for the "standardized internet behavior", which is the very reason that nothing is being done about it other places. The idea that "this is just the way things have always been", which is just the worse excuse I have ever heard for anything in my entire life. That is how Slavery was justified, Genocide, Sexism, and now how some people think that internet just works everywhere.

Oops...there I go again...so sorry...not doing it on purpose...just kinda happens.

So all in all, I just wanted to see what would happen, since the idea of "Freedom of Speech" while online has progressed much further, and well beyond what was intended when they started the networked computers in the University of California, Los Angeles, the U.S., and it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I am not entirely blind to the possibility of there being a huge fallout due to it happening, I mean the trolls are sure to have some sort of outlet, where they can communicate amongst themselves, and it will surely be used to spread the word about what has happened. So I do understand completely that it is a Major Risk to take, IF those trolls make the mainstream media, and do a "takedown piece" on GamezBD. It Could very well lead to a Massive exodus from the servers, and the resulting influx of new players wouldn't be enough to keep the wheel turning.

I do understand that this is indeed a Real concern that should be addressed, and that it could mean suicide for the servers, which is far from what I intend, which is why I am not calling out for permanent bans left and right.
    I just wanted this tiny amount of players to realize that they are playing a computer game, on a Private Server that they are not the owners of, and that they are indeed sharing the servers with a ton of other players, who are essentially completely strangers to each other. So the minimum to ask for, from a ownership point of view, is that they do not treat the server as if they can do whatever they want to, and not care at all how it affects other players.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020