1. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gladiator or templar?

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by iloveoov, Jan 6, 2011.

1. eselyu

eselyu Getting there

you inspire me to make a templar thnks

2. Pryde

Pryde New Member

I look at it like this:

PvE/Leveling:
    Gladiators obviously level faster in general, since they have plate and do plenty of damage to mobs.

However, a templar can level pretty fast if you use a decent two-handed sword. And from my experience, a gladiator will eventually need to sit down when going from mob to mob more than my templar did, but that's negligible.

In instances, I've found that gladiators sometimes are substituted for a templar, but only because a templar was not available at the time the party was made. This ends up with more stress on the healer than if a templar was used for tanking. And with more stress on the healer, less healing gets spread around the party, and if the backline pulls aggro from the gladiator, or if there's aoe, your party is in big trouble. (Templars have more aggro-pulling skills than a templar, and also have stats that increase their aggro, so they maintain aggro more than a gladiator, regardless of damage.)

Group PvP (Such as abyss):
    Playing a lot of MMO's, if you go melee/damage, you'll typically need a healer or a group, because you're on the front line, you're the one getting hit first. A melee/tanker can handle this situation better than melee/damage, but they usually get ignored because their damage is negligible.

It's one reason I don't play assassin, yes you can go stealth and take out some backliners, but there's only a few seconds before everyone realizes it, and assassins get slaughtered. Having a lot of attack only matters if it can hit your target. And getting to your target as a melee is hard enough, and without the proper defense or means of getting to your target quickly, your offensive ability means nothing.

To close my point here: Templars are a great backbone to a large group, since they can stun, pull, and annoy the other side, and they're an active player that healers don't have to focus much on. Templars will assist in maintaining the front line, but will not move it forward much, and they won't score much by themselves in group pvp's. However, if a gladiator is rolling with a cleric, it'll punch through front lines, and score big time. But the gladiator/cleric can only withstand so much, before even they need assistance.

Duels:
    Templars are made to outlast, playing Templar as my main, the only competition I had, were clerics and stunning chanters. Clerics because they could heal themselves, while their pet does damage, and bind me, to the point where clerics outright outlast me. Chanters stun me when I'm doing damage to them, they heal themselves, and rinse and repeat. (I dunno if they fixed Unwavering Devotion, but would end the cycle there.)

Dueling with my Gladiator, it was more or less who could either crit first or aerial lockdown first. It was a DPS/burst-damage competition. This was blindingly apparent in Glad vs Glad, it was the one with the bigger stick who walked away.

To close my point here: Templar was most fun for me dueling, because it took more than just facerolling my keyboard to win. That doesn't mean I lost more on my templar than my gladiator, it just meant that I had an answer for more classes than I did with my gladiator. I had more options, and strategies. It felt like templars were made to go face-to-face with any class in a duel. Templar Vs Templar was always slow, sometimes boring, but it mattered more who used their emergency skills and when, who took advantage of shield bashes, and etc.

Overall:
    As with most mmo's I've played, unless you're rolling with a healer of some kind, being a damage dealing melee in large PvP's is almost always risky business, and they're great for certain scenarios, but they have less options than tankers. Being a tanker with a backline (Ranger, healer, or sorcerer classes) almost always works best, in group PvP's.

My answer to this, is if you want to be a killer/offensive, you go gladiator obviously. But take a moment and consider other classes that do this better imo: Ranger or sorcerer. They both have the range advantage, and sorcerer's damage out-classes a gladiator's by far.

If you want to be more versatile, templar is your way. But either way, I always felt safer in the abyss on my templar than my gladiator when I was by myself, for obvious reasons.

And if none of that convinces you, realize that gladiator is more popular than templar. So when it comes down to it, and when all is said and done, the main thing separating you from them, is gear. And those who started before you, will always have the advantage on you there. Only when gear is compared, can you can argue "skill."

On the other hand, templar's tanking power is more effected by the skills they use rather than their gear. It makes a big difference, but gear on a gladiator is more important than gear on a templar. So, finally, am I saying it takes more skill to use a templar than a gladiator? Yes.

3 people like this.
  3. crimsonfang

crimsonfang Well-Known Member

Very well Said Pryde... Well... Temps can outlast the Glads... they are so bane to deal with as long as they are holding their bulky shields... but for me Glad have good damage and versatile(well we can also equip shields so we can deal the massive punishments on the heat of a clash, then switch to our spears to deal the tug of war in the clash) to all sorts of combats, Its up to the player if he could bring up the full potential of this class...^_^V

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. Gafton

Gafton Retired. Forum Legend

The templar is much better than the gladiator if well played.I'll suggest to play the templar if you have patience
    to learn the skills and don't give up when you'll get pwned even with all your buffs on.You have to learn all the buffs
    and use them at the right time.For gladiator nothing to say very easy to play for new ones too.

5. Momo

Momo Arrogant Member Forum Legend

are u a elyos? i show u temp dmg :O

6. Aussei

Aussei Proficient

My bf is Templar and well.... It's kind of tough. For some reason the moment we step into a PVP situation everyone jumps him. And I lag when there are large amounts of people, really bad, I play Cleric, and I can't heal while lagging very well. D; So he always ends up dead that or I die before I can do anything because they see Cleric and kill quickly. I love Templar....;A; But as a tank I wish they had some type of AoE. I mean look at other MMOs, usually the tank has some AoE moves. It's hard to take aggro back from several mobs without AoE. Sure there is AoE TAUNTS, but then how about in PVP? Then what? You're zerging a fortress with a group they surround the Templar, I guess Gladiators are supposed to be the heroes?

7. Rucbeth

Rucbeth Expert

o.o.......................................

1 person likes this.
  8. Diavol GR

Diavol GR Legendary Member

Gladiator for Brainless Damage without skill needed and Templar for Pro.

9. cobweb

cobweb Expert

Glad dude..xD
    more damage than temp

1 person likes this.
  10. Ian

Ian Expert

choose glad!!!they are strong

Dementa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Math

Math Guide me back to the path I was meant to take Forum Legend

Temps will eventually out do a glad o.o

12. rodzflip

rodzflip New Member

I'm a temp and i killed many already. like other said it's depend on your items, preferable items ABG or EGT. :)

13. slashcrosser

slashcrosser New Member

If what you want is lots of kills, go gladiator. Take a look at the rankings page and see how many templars make it in the top 50 and compare that to the number of gladiators in the list. A fully geared templar and a fully geared galdiator are both capable of taking out an entire party. The templar will kill each person one at a time over a couple of minutes. The gladiator will kill everyone at the same time in a few seconds.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  14. Chokolaticoco

Chokolaticoco Expert

see how many people are insanely insecure to glads that is bcoz they bet the sh1t out of them

15. Everett

Everett Proficient

without egt\abg take templar . at least u'll be pain is the ass until ur buffs run out. if u choose glad the u'll be free frag

16. DarkSoul

DarkSoul Banned

I was playing Gladi for a long time!!!! but when i changed to temp it was something dif.....i am in love with temp!!!.....is the best class for me...

17. Chokolaticoco

Chokolaticoco Expert

i am a glad and i have 3 sets for full parry for full attack and for full MR

18. Bambieundies

Bambieundies ╥▌Funeral Director▌╥

haven't decided yet?
    You can have both if you want.... no one's gonna stop you...