1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Immersion Changes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Whineseeker, Nov 4, 2020.

1. Whineseeker

Whineseeker New Member

Hello.
    I'm here to share a thought with the community.
    I love the philosophy behind this server. It feels much more immersive than retail.
    Monsters are tough and can swarm your HP in a second, Life skills are meaningful and not a second job, gear progression is great and it follow the story quests nearly perfectly (except the first storyline, whatever).
    In few words, i love this server.

The only thing that I don't understand is why I can ride my horse underwater, it feels so lame, it's like using an hack.
    It's handy, it's very handy, expecially when I fall in a small river. I would have to swim on the shore and call the horse, just losing time. It's much better like this.
    But I'd really love to see a restriction in this.
    First, as I said, because it feels lame, like a speedhack or something like that.
    Second, because if I can dash underwater on my horse, why should I waste time with a boat or a ship? That was pretty immersive yet.

Is there any way to limit the time an horse can run underwater? I understand it would be extremely hard to code something like this, but maybe there's a chance to make it simple. On retail, if I leave my horse underwater, it dies after some time (1 minute?). Can it be applied here?.

What do you think about this? would be worth to make a poll to see what people think?

Thanks for your time and keep on with the great job!

Morthar likes this.
  2. Puffery

Puffery ᴘᴜꜰꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀɢɪᴄ ᴅʀᴀɢᴏɴ Forum Legend

There are a lot of reasons to have a boat. If your horse dies underwater there is a chance you will never ever see that horse again. "Submarine Horse" is a bug from 2017 that turned into a QoL for many people, myself included actually, and it is a bug that is extremely low priority which a great portion of the server doesn't want fixed. I think this game breaks its own immersion within its own storyline. Why are Shai people considered orphan children but then they're grown adults elsewhere.

Disclaimer: This message should not in anyway be taken as official. This is my own opinion and does not reflect the rest of the Gamez Staff.

loboram likes this.
  3. Whineseeker

Whineseeker New Member

Honestly, I think all shais should be removed from black desert, even the npc

Seriously, I understand your point. As I said, it’s handy, like it would be if I could teleport anywhere I want. It would be handy, but it would break the sense of world this game has. I meant THIS kind of immersion.
    This is my point: This hacklike features are surely usefull, but they can affect this sense of being in a lively world.

Morthar likes this.
  4. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

Firstly, as always I wanted to thank you for your feedback to the GamezBD staff and community, since it is Always useful when someone tries to suggest something for the rest of us all to consider :)

I would however like to ask a few questions; How exactly do you see the GamezBD-game-version being significantly different from the EU-Retail-server-version?

Yeah, the monsters Can and will surround you, But it is only the ones who are slightly over your level, which effectively means (because we level up SO darned quickly here) that there are very few places this happens. That is just sad because why would monsters (the very notion of monsters) just stop following you or attacking you?
    There is really no sensible reason, which is immersion breaking for me.

I would like to adress you concern about the loss of immersion when it comes to the horses being able to breathe underwater, and somehow Also keep the character riding them breathing, BUT since there is actual Magic in the game-world then why is it so hard to imagine that all Horses in the Black Desert Online world, have been imbued by the Great Animal Spirits?
    So that they are always surrounded by an aura of magical energy that protects the Horses and the Rider while being underwater, and it is only when the Rider decides to dismount that the spell is broken, because that is what actually happens on GamezBD ;)

BUT while we are on the subject of Horse-movement, I personally find it helluva lot more immersion breaking, when my horse decides (despite having removed the Caution-skill) to completely Stop moving, whenever there is a tiny-little drop in the scenary. I mean less than a foot (30 cm) then why would the Horses completely stop dead in their tracks, only to start moving again a moment after?
    THAT frustrates me so immensely, but it seems to be something that EVERYone has just accepted as a given by now. I have only heard a couple of players agree with my post, from a couple of years ago about this problem, however I think it is the same on Retail, which is probably why it isn't thought of as a bug, but just something that is a part of the game.

About the reason to have a ship: Well, there are various reasons to do so, but then you would have to play more of the BDO-game-construct than just grinding and PvP, just like there are various reasons to do Life-Skilling, but the mainstream-ideology (as far as I know) rarely if ever use all the other aspects of this game. If you like sailing, or fishing, or harpooning, or Bartering, or Fighting Sea-Monsters and Pirates, or robbing trade vessels, then you can have a blast at sea. It isn't for everyone, just like other aspects of the game like Hunting.

The last bit about Shai as a species in the game-world, that you want to remove altogether, is yet another example of something that is a part of the game, whether you want it to be or not, and which you just have to accept.
    Much like how I feel about the mainstream-ideology, because I cannot eradicate that way of thinking, I just have to accept that it exists.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Puffery likes this.
  5. Morthar

Morthar New Member

[​IMG]

6. Noclune

Noclune New Member

Add Wrinkle sliders to Shai so I can make my gilf midget already.

Puffery likes this.
  7. Whineseeker

Whineseeker New Member

Even speedhacking could be "magic" then, even clipping throught texture could be magic.
    It's just an easy excuse to make the game easier.
    a T9 horse who can ride underwater could be great. This is just lame, it's a legalized hack to spend less hour reaching islands and sycraia, which was cool just because of its location, with this hack and underwater spot becomes just a spot like the others.

I'd like to see what people think about it, since not everyone use the forum.
    Maybe an official poll on discord? Is it possible?

8. marsseven

marsseven Proficient

And rightly so, let's just leave the characters of the warriors.
    Let's remove the pearl outfits and kill the diversity.
    Make it look like this ...
    [​IMG]
    I'm begging you...
    I omit that Shai is one of the main NPCs pushing the story forward :cool:

You see, the "underwater horse" saves a lot of time and money in building a boat.
    Not everyone likes sea adventures.
    Who wants to get there by raft / boat, and another will choose a horse.
    Such a substitute for freedom.
    Live and let live;).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    loboram likes this.
  9. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

It is not a "hack", although what constitutes a "hack" nowadays seems to have extremely low critia, the ability to ride underwater is merely a bug. However using a third-party software cheat, such as "speed hacking" (even though no hacking has taken place), IS a bannable offense so I fail to see how you equate the use of the "Magical-game-world", with actually breaking the server rules.

As @marsseven said, it is mostly up to the players, how they want to play the game, and you did start out saying that it was all about the breaking of immersion into the game, so why is my suggestion; "...an easy excuse...lame...legalized hack"?

10. Whineseeker

Whineseeker New Member

You can buy Bartali boat for a bunch of millions, amphibious horses are not so much time-saving, surely immersion-breaking.