1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is paypal gone?

Discussion in 'Old Threads' started by Papertiger, Aug 17, 2010.

1. premiumgas88

premiumgas88 New Member

to be honest paypal is so much easier i have no idea how to use donate through western union, i got money order from them before but that is about it....

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

i see the paypal on mine but on the last step it say it needs a shipping address.(weird?) I have donated on other Pservers before never ran into this problem....

2. Daven

Daven Proficient Forum Legend

Perhaps Carl might work something out where he can send you an invoice to those he feels he trusts based on how active they are on the forums under a new PayPal account. Who knows though, for me like many PayPal is the only thing I would use for donations.

I can understand his feeling though. When I used to Admin on a World Of Warcraft private server the owner got a lot of charge backs like this as well. People who either steal the information from their parents/grandparents and it gets charged back or just people who want free items. It is them who ruined the ability to donate with PayPal by abusing it. Hopefully PayPal actually does something about this instead of always siding with the buyer.

3. ryang

ryang Banned

Hard to side with seller on an illegal server when so many buyers refund. TBH, if you worked for them, it'd very hard not to side with the buyers. You can disable this option (a disclaimer and stuff) but Carl doesn't own a paypal, and the people he used don't know how to do it.

4. Daven

Daven Proficient Forum Legend

Very true. Suppose it would be hard to decide on such a thing and not to side those who had spent their money. In PayPal's shoes I'd probably do the same and couldn't say I wouldn't because of how often identify theft likely happens online. Either way, it seems this server will likely loose out on many donations with WU as the only choice, but that will be a solution to the charge back problem at least.

5. ryang

ryang Banned

Well, here's where you are wrong.

Suppose 100 people donate using paypal but not WU. If paypal was open, they would all donate.

Now suppose HALF of them charge back (very high estimate), he still would make money off the other half.

Now suppose he cancelled paypal like he did. He will get the occasional random person who is willing to risk it with WU, but I think the amount will drop a LOT.

Its no secret WU is extremely unsafe

6. pavodelajusticia

pavodelajusticia Proficient

@ryang
    I have donated a copule of times to gamez via Western Union and have donated on other games with Western Union as well, I never had a problem sending the money to anyone so what happend to you with WU that you think its unsafe I have allready wasted bout $1,000 on every game i have played in total using WU and never had a problem NEVAH!!

7. ryang

ryang Banned

Nothing happened to me. Its common knowledge (look at the links I sent you) that WU is unsafe. But don't take my word for it. Once your savings are wiped, then come back and cry to me. Its a risky way to send money, and if you managed to get lucky so far, good for you.

8. Aegis

Aegis Guest

Western Union is a bit of a risk, most people know this... that's why I thought that there were 20% more credits given to those who use it.

1 person likes this.
  9. pavodelajusticia

pavodelajusticia Proficient

well I dont use WU to buy stuff from other guys on ebay i just do donations to games if i like the game and has WU option for donation i donate to it cuz I never had a problem with them and since its a donation I allready know its going bye bye so its their problem if they get the money or not, im not the kind of guy that expects stuff in return.

10. zer0patches

zer0patches Proficient

Wrong, lol.

Most buyers don't refund, it's 99% stolen accounts that needs refunds. Occasionally stuff happens like the SQL server craps out and people don't get credits or whatever nd request refunds.

Paypal is not offered where carl lives so he was using his friends account which was closed because no one was replying to the issues. Carl has a new paypal account that he has access to now so I'm sure he will be accepting paypal again at some point with limits.

That is all,

-zp

1 person likes this.
  11. ryang

ryang Banned

I was referring to the point when Karissa mentioned Crystal was a test server and the majority of the crystal players refunded their donations. At that point in time, all of them would get it back since its like 20vs1. But yeah, you can set up limits meaning you can't dispute the transaction using a disclaimer and personally talking to paypal.

12. zer0patches

zer0patches Proficient

Crystal, I know nothing of this. :lol:

I beg to differ, if everything is setup properly you can not get your money back for a donation. Trust me I've tried and been denied by paypal more than once because I didn;t actually buy anything and I had control of my account.

Only way to get back your money is to say that you did not authorize the payment and your account was stolen but then you have to jump through a million hoops to verify yourself with paypal.

If you got your money back it's because the person did not want to dispute your dispute and told paypal to refund the money.

-zp

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  13. ryang

ryang Banned

Thats exactly what I just said. the way it was set up allowed people to dispute, and if aeon had answered the disputes, or had it not been so many people disputing, he could have avoided the charge backs. but by setting it up properly, he can make it so no one can even dispute.

14. zer0patches

zer0patches Proficient

Eh, charge backs aren't really an issue. There were only a few and I told the people to request them because the donation was messed up for a day.

It;s the "unauthorized" disputes that carls friend never replied to. I can see how that could get out of hand.

In the short week I was helping Carl with it I got 59 transactions from 3 stolen accounts. You don;t reply to those and it's a huge issue for pp.

I'm a little more proactive.

-zp

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  15. ryang

ryang Banned

Once again though, I am referring to the crystal scenario which happened on Aeon's paypal, but whatever. Unauthorized are huge issues, I agree, but it will also cause said person some trouble since he is now legally binded to his word, which is clearly false, and can get into trouble for it.

16. zer0patches

zer0patches Proficient

My policy would be to have a TOS and give refunds no questions asked at the expense of your account as stated.

Consequently thats carls new method.

I don't think paypal cares about refunds as long as it;s users are happy and not getting scammed.
    The rest is up to carl.

-zp

17. Fright

Fright Proficient

My friend just donated (5 minutes ago),
    Try it now.