1. Dismiss Notice
  2. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sharp Shards Aren't Worth Gathering

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Griff, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Griff

Griff New Member

Hi all. I've been with Gamez BD for a little over a week now, and I am really enjoying it a lot! Even through the numerous issues I've encountered, I'm glad to find a dependable BDO server. :)

Now, I've overheard people say the hard/sharp gather rates were overpowered in the past and that's why they were lowered. I'm not sure if this is true or not but regardless, the shard gathering rates as of right now aren't worth the time invested.

To put this into a practical scenario: in the time it takes a farmer to get 5 pairs of Witch earrings, on average the gatherer will receive 0-2 sharps.
    *Legit doubling shards from killing vs gathering. Also the gatherer has limited energy and the farmer can farm forever*

This is a huge issue because BDO was structured in such a way to encourage non-gatherer style players, to gather more to upgrade their gear and throw all the "useless" byproduct up in the market. Which in turn, enabled people who actually crafted to have more choices and spare some energy at the cost of silver. This brought a brighter circle of life to the economy in official. Currently here in Gamez BD it's "kill skeletons, kill skeletons, kill skeletons, kill skeletons, kill skeletons, etc..." then you melt down the accessories to get all the sharps/hards, and laugh in the face of the carebears gathering for the passed hour with maybe a sharp or two.

I'm not asking for OP rates, I'm asking for a better balance between killing and gathering.

Alphabet, Lusa, KikiSoCheeky and 4 others like this.
  2. Lorskie

Lorskie WTB>"QQ Section" in the forum

Ooh this is nice. :)

3. Gandalfium

Gandalfium New Member

true that imho they should make some kind of event like they did in officcial. A week of increased rate of gathering. That will keep the economy going. Atm the sharps and hards are sniped instantly. People are giving up and quitting because they cant progress. The economy needs to be balanced. +1 to this suggestion

Griff likes this.
  4. chehiro

chehiro New Member

they could also add sharp shard to other blue droped items heat process list

5. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

I totally agree with this. The server advertises a x10 collection rate for gathering, if that doesn't include shards it throws things out of balance. We need to upgrade our "x10 equipment drops" and there's almost never any Concentrated Stones on the mp. Granted, there's a lot of money to be made out of shards and the folks who spend time gathering them usually become pretty rich, but it's not an exclusive club, anyone can gather shards if they don't mind being bored out of their skull. :)

Lelian and Griff like this.
  6. Griff

Griff New Member

This.
    This is exactly my point I'm trying to draw for the admins/developers to see. To reiterate what you said a bit, "we need to upgrade our x10 equipment drops with the our x3 equipment enhancer drops"
    It just sounds silly when said like this. it's almost as if they're purposefully trying to discourage anyone from gathering. :(

Btw don't quote me on the x3 hard/sharp gathering drop rate, but if I had to guess that's about what we are at now. Lol

sparky1 likes this.
  7. telespapeles

telespapeles Proficient

It was actually already suggested for sharps/hards to be added to droptables in hard areas like aakman, hystrya. Probably now even to manashaum and trees in kama. It would make players make parties more often and actually explore those areas that otherwise are quite inefficient (even on retail). Would also be cool to see awakened and world/field bosses drop them tbh

Drella and ganjagab like this.
  8. Griff

Griff New Member

That's a neat idea, but it completely goes against my OP of keeping a circle of life in the economy. However, I do agree with encouraging players to group more and explore difficult areas while at the same time making it worth their while, just not with sharp/hards being their motivators.

P.S. If a moderator reads this, could you please move this thread to Suggestions? I didn't realize at the time of making this post that it's basically a suggestion for the server...

9. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

Griff, I honestly don't think they're doing this intentionally. The Devs, like the players, are just focused on different aspects of the game.

I don't believe shard drops were ever over powered, not since the official launch. I think a few folks, early on, had good RNG, thought the drops were over powered, and were vocal about it. Right after the launch, shards and con stones would be posted on the market place and purchased within a half hour. If the drops had been truly over powered they'd have sat there for at least a few hours. lol Now, there's almost none.

Finally, players are starting to complain a bit, so maybe they'll fix it soon.

Griff likes this.
  10. ironhammer500

ironhammer500 New Member

Problem with the server is there is no way for new player/lower geared players to really catch up anymore pvp is dominated by those who now have pen gear, bosses always drop to certain players, markets are camped by Market botters...so sadly this server needs some TLC.

Shard rates could improve which would help people get pen and be on a equal playing field.

sparky1 likes this.
  11. Cotton

Cotton New Member

enjoy it before server got crowded lol

12. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

Well, there's no way to gear up without being able to enhance past +15. Folks are talking 40/60 failstacks. That takes a lot of con stones. I wish they'd just make everything x10 and be done with it.

13. telespapeles

telespapeles Proficient

I see your point but economy is kinda fked up here because of the rates. Most players like to go out and smack some mobs. There aren't alot of life skillers here, as it isn't really viable. Market can be "exploited" a bit and you can make money out of life skills but it's just a while until someone starts doing the same and it stops being viable for money. Grinding mobs ends up being better.
    Cooking, for example, is a waste of time, money wise, as meat (same as bloods for alchemy, etc) have retail amounts.

14. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

It doesn't have to be an either or proposition. If they want to make shards drop from mobs, that doesn't mean they can't be gathered, aswell. Also, the way in which one obtains the shards won't stop people from trying to exploit the market place... unless you want them bound, too. If you look at the rankings there seems to me enough life skillers to at least try to leave that aspect of the game intact.

15. telespapeles

telespapeles Proficient

I was talking about the market in relation to lifeskills, not sharps/hards. Re-read my post please

16. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

Well, I think I did address part of your point, telespapels. Let me break it down for ya. :)

"There aren't alot of life skillers here, as it isn't really viable."
    There are in fact quite a few life skillers. Check the rankings. Look at all the folks training and fishing, notice at all the farms out side Heidel. These players maybe afking for pearls, but some of them are really into it. There's enough players to at least try and develop that aspect of the game.

"Market can be "exploited" a bit and you can make money out of life skills but it's just a while until someone starts doing the same and it stops being viable for money. Grinding mobs ends up being better."
    It doesn't really matter if we're talking about shards and the market place. The market is oblivious to how we get the items we sell. The same dynamics are in play whether they're obtained by grinding or gathering.... or both.

Also I spoke to what you said in a previous post. "It was actually already suggested for sharps/hards to be added to droptables in hard areas like aakman, hystrya." That would be fine, but it doesn't really address the problem for life skillers. It doesn't have to be an either or proposition.

Most important, this is not a "small" game. It's a big game. It's a very good sandbox. Sandbox? That means a lot of different types of players are in this mix. If anyone wants to kill that, I don't think they really get the game. They're just trying to turn Black Desert into another slash and grind. Um... that's a pity.

Ya get that, Buddy? What do you think? A conversation is always the best.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  17. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

I just think they need some time to get things right. It hasn't been out of beta for a full month yet. I wish they had tested the "live" rates during beta. It would have saved a lot of strife.

18. Griff

Griff New Member

I'm really hoping this is the case, and it appears you have more experience how GamezNetwork handles situations, so my hopes are high for a fix sooner rather than later. :)
    The only thing worrying me is that this thread seems to voice a popular opinion, but there isn't a response from the staff after several days of this thread being up... or even the thread being moved to a proper location. (Suggestions)

19. sparky1

sparky1 New Member

LOL I didn't think of it that way, but you have a point, and the Devs really do need to take notice of this. At this point, no one's happy about how it's being handled, not the life skillers nor the grinders, simply because there's not nearly enough con stones in the game.

Let's test our theory. It's 6:15 am, Nov 1st. At this moment accumulated trades for Concentrated Black Stone (Weapon) = 5897. Let's see what it says this time tomorrow. :)

20. Griff

Griff New Member

Looks like I read this at the right time, huh. (Btw I think you accidently put Cron Stones instead of Sharps/Concentrated)
    Currently 6:34AM server time with total accumulated trades for Concentrated Black Stone (Weapon) = 5,993

96 total trades within the 24hr data sample. There was about an average of 650 players online today between both channels. If every player had an equal opportunity to buy these, they would purchase ~0.15 Concentrated Black Stone (Weapon) per day. It's also worth noting that Sharp Black Crystal Shards should be included... There are a total of 4,740 transactions on these, but even then would only amount to such a small percentile per person. It's unrealistic that all estimated 650 players would be purchasing these all day long, but even if 5% (32) of the players were fighting for who gets them in the market place, you'd only average 3 Concentrated per 24hr. Marketplace isn't worth it at all, and gathering isn't worth the time invested opposed to grinding.

It's kinda fun playing with these numbers, and yet sad. Lol