1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Horse fall damage.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by xanikar, Mar 7, 2018.

1. xanikar

xanikar New Member

My suggestion? Simple just remove fall damage from horses. The game was much more enjoyable without it and seems like a needless change. More so with how buggy it is, randomly dying from 5 feet falls and having to either escape or walk back is not enjoyable.

It also added in some new shortcuts and made traversing the map so, so much more enjoyable. Everyone that i have spoke to has agreed changing the horses to take fall damage was an abysmal change that they would rather have reverted.

I know you want to be like normal bdo. but you have a chance to seperate yourselves and add in a much better experience overall rather than just higher exp/drop rates. You have the power to fundamentally offer a new experience that players can't get anywhere else. Why be like normal bdo which everyone hates? Or dislikes that comes to here. Next i fear you guys will remove the ability for horses to sprint underwater. Which everyone loves and adores.

Point of this post is trying to stop you from going down this dark road, that ruins the your servers character and personality of being slightly buggy but for the better. How it's extremely satisfying to drop like 100 feet and just carry on like nothing happens. It was a feature not a bug as far as your player base was concerned.

DoomRabbit likes this.
  2. DoomRabbit

DoomRabbit Getting there

Admittedly I have to agree, but only because Fall Damage is indeed buggy. If it were just a nuisance it would just be something we all had to get used to, but as it stands falling off a rock may kill your horse.

3. JLFox

JLFox Proficient

No fall damage sounds exploitable. Being on a horse shouldn't give you the ability of invincibility. Also it makes the Pegasus worthless as it is one of its benefits over the normal t1-t8 horses.

4. DoomRabbit

DoomRabbit Getting there

The problem is that regular fall damage DOES work, if a bit buggy as to when it decides to. Fall Damage on horses provides no PVP or PVE benefit, and is only really beneficial to traveling... and even then, not many places. The two mountain ranges could be traversed, as a mild exploit, without the fall damage... but that is really it. Weighing that against the broken damage system that kills at random, from random heights...

5. JLFox

JLFox Proficient

Node wars. Map design. The core feeling of the game itself. Real issue here: Fall damage is bugged and needs a fix.

Don't ask for something unintended to become a feature as it would have been one already, if the design philosophy were to allow it.

DoomRabbit likes this.
  6. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

I am sorry to say this @JLFox but the lack of fall damage for horses in this game has absolutely no impact on Node Wars nor does it interfere with the map design, I am not saying that we should keep no fall damage or make it a "normal" BDO experience by introducing it either.
    I was personally an extreme enthusiast of no fall damage as it made traveling much more fun and the possibilities increased by at least 5 times the amount of map traveling opportunities that there are in a standardized BDO game and for that alone I might want to keep it around as someone else said making this server a unique experience, but then again the only thing it does effectively do in the game is to allow for huge map shortcuts so it is not a game making or breaking thing if they make fall damage part of this GamezBD experience :)

DoomRabbit likes this.
  7. Trend

Trend New Member

I like the idea but in practice, it isn't so great. If someone is to say that no fall damage on horses has no impact on pvp/siege/nodewars I'm sorry to say this so bluntly but you are wrong and are lacking in experience in pvp or imagination in tactics. There are multitudes of tactics that can and will be used to drop from places you should not on horses to gain an advantage and reach tactical positions that would otherwise be unattainable. I enjoyed jumping off any cliff I wanted as I ran through the world as much as the next person, but we have to be realistic and understand there are indeed larger implications than "I can't feel like I'm flying anymore!". Sorry, this should not be reversed.

edit:

I will say that the lack of fall damage while mounted made getting to pirates possible on horseback. I don't think that is such a good plan now which makes pirates quite an annoying spot to visit again.
    What would be a good compromise (if even possible) would be to have it hotfixed (patch without servers going down) for node wars and sieges, but leave it off during regular play.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  8. JLFox

JLFox Proficient

There is so much wrong with this that I do not have enough to time to write everything down. At least put some effort into creating a somewhat valid argument. Until then, feel free to work for a T9 if you want that "unique experiance" which some people already achieved for themselfs..

+1.

9. loboram

Wow you people are quite aggro for nothing at all personal towards you, I should have added the most obvious fact of the whole "Node Wars Problem" which of course is that ALL players would have the exact same advantage so it is not actually an advantage then is it (yeah I do expect you people to freak out now as well as being directly mean towards me simply for pointing out something that is obvious)?
    In any case that was the least of my post so what I wanted to say was merely how I felt about the issue and that it is not a game making/breaking experience for me personally so there is really no need to be all up in arms over something so trivial as another persons opinion :)

10. Trend

Trend New Member

I was not being "aggro" I simply pointed out flaws in your logic, I'm sorry you're too sensitive to be challenged without seeing it as a personal attack.

Everyone having the "advantage" doesn't change the fact that it creates an imbalance for what was intended when the node war areas were designed and eliminates spots on an already scarce area for dropping forts.

For it to come back the only reasonable solution would be a toggle on and off for node wars/sieges, which as I said I'm not even certain that is possible.

11. DoomRabbit

DoomRabbit Getting there

I can see why the poster saw you as being aggressive. No need to attempt escalation. (Calling someone overly sensitive is condescending without any real reason.)

Incidentally, you can set Fall Damage as a flag for Node Wars... it would receive the same treatment as an area debuff in the system.

loboram likes this.
  12. loboram

Thanks @DoomRabbit that was very nice of you and quite in line with what I had intended to say myself but it seems that some people only want to make things worse instead of trying to resolve problems :)

DoomRabbit likes this.
  13. xanikar

xanikar New Member

Ok then if everyone feels fall damage on horses is such a big impact, i have a suggestion so both sides win. Make it so those falls that would kill the horse wouldn't but instead leave the player and the horse at 1 hp. That way you can't abuse it in pvp, but your horse won't randomly die for no reason and still allow some short cuts on the map and gives you those fun moments where you are feeling unstoppable falling like 100 feet and then hit the ground sprinting right off into the distance.

I still fail to see the no fall damage thing being huge in pvp/node war to get into special spots. Sure you can try, but oh wait the time it takes to dismount or be on the horse in the first place will absolutely destroy you and your horse. I don't feel the tactical vantage would be much at all. Hardly anybody but the most try hard people that want that 0.15912953562% extra advantage over their opponents would even attempt to bother with such a silly thing.

In short all this is doing is screwing over people. I rather not have my dream horse get killed randomly cause the fall damage system decided hahaha FALL DAMAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! whewhoooooooooooooooooooooo! Seriously this system is so broken that they might as well revert the changes while they fix and test the system out during multiple patches this hurts breeding as well. Since you can only reset your mounts death counter once. And there is no telling when the system will just kill your mount for no reason.

But i never really understood why private servers always tried to stick so close to vanilla, they should try and gain their own identity's and custom content to pull in a larger audience since the negatives generally out weighs the pros in a private server. So by having extra things that makes players want to play on your server rather than the other you take out most of if not all the competition. Imagine custom outfits for the shop. They could then add in all costumes like the kibelius ones making everything possible in to obtain rather than keeping somethings separate from the normal shop. And bdo could use some more unique and cool outfits for classes. You could even turn it into a monthly plus event where the community can design the costumes and the highest voted ones can be put into the shops etc.

But now i am just getting side tracked, my point is they have the power to be better than live in every aspect and improve upon meh game mechanics.