1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. If this is your first visit, you may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Item drop rate clarification

Discussion in 'Questions' started by Tels, May 2, 2022.

1. Tels

Tels New Member

Hello,

Is there a detailed explanation of how the item drop rate increase on this server works somewhere that I could read? In the server description it says 10x drop rate increase and on the server the buff says 900%. However, in the few dozen hours I have grinded these do not seem correct.

As an example, on the live servers with a blue loot scroll at Stars End, the average drop rate for a distortion earring is approximately every 1hr 56mins supported by over 22,000hrs of grinding data. If this drop rate was mirrored onto this server, that means I should expect to drop 5 distos/hr at SE as an average across my grind time...yet I haven't seen more than 1 per hour maximum so far.

Another exmaple is Pila Ku Jail, where scroll drop rate on live servers is about 18/hr across 3,300hrs. I am currently averaging about 80/hr on this server, which is about a 500% increase. Substantial, yet not 10x (which would be an average of 180/hr).

I'm would just like some clarification on how this 10x drop rate increase functions. Thank you!

2. Kalet

Kalet New Member

my feeling is that for green things yes 10x for some blue things yes 900% and other things are a maximum of 1.5x versus the official bdo and some things are even worse than the official bdo.but as for FS etc it is more pleasant

3. Treeds

Treeds New Member

Honestly, that's just not how numbers work on bdo. As far as I know, the drop rate is applied as a buff, just like regular buffs on regular server such as scrolls, etc, and even on regular servers when you apply a buff you won't see your drop rate increasing by that exact number, if I drop 5 Pila Fe scrolls in one hour without blue scroll (100% increase), that doesn't necessarily mean I'll get 10 with the scroll turned on, it varies and it varies a lot. Also some items have such an incredibly low chance of dropping that adding 900% won't change the fact that it's still a small chance of dropping.

Also if you're using Garmoth.com's data please note that the site is taking into consideration multiple people with various different classes, with different APs, different builds/stats, different rotations, different clear speeds, an average of all of that will most likely not directly reflect your experience that directly, plus those numbers are not official drop rate values from the game and we don't know if some items have a capped drop rate that won't go up no matter how much you buff it or not.

I think it's just random, honestly. Also please note that a 900% buff and a 10x higher rate is the same information. If, let's say, one item has a 1% drop rate and you add 900% buff to it that's a total of 10%, which is the same as saying it's 10x more.

loboram likes this.
  4. loboram

loboram Respected Member Forum Legend

Unfortunately the data needed to quantify Randomness, is impossibly large, since Random means that it is unquantifiable. Hence the reason why, Pearl Abyss doesn't give out information regarding drop rates, nor the chances of getting any items.

The "data" gathered is highly doubtful, because there is no similar data verifiers, such as how high the Luck stat is, how high is the Node investment, what increases the individual players have active.
    Which basically means, that "average drop rates" is a meaningless part-sentence. Random is not quantifiable.

I really liked your reply, but I do Have to say, that this part is wrong. The "buff" adds (+) 900% to the already present 100%, and That's what makes it x10. If you only increase 1% by 900%, then you get 0,09 and not 0,1.

5. Kalet

Kalet New Member

like that really someone played in one place 22000 hours? like after 2 hours it's not fun anymore,I think games are made for fun and not for headaches and stress.

6. Treeds

Treeds New Member

Yeah, that's what I meant. The buff is applied to the raw number, not percentage of percentage, sorry if that wasn't clear

loboram likes this.
  7. ShadoweCZ

ShadoweCZ Loner by choice

just ask peopel how many pieces of merchants ring they got by grinding ash forest here vs on retail ...
    i have seen people get like 5+ of them over weeks / months grinding there, on retail you have to be literal god of luck to get one piece

also chance is still a chance, i did seasonal knowledge grind in SE and got like 5 distos in 2h on seasonal character (take into account the slownes of grind with 240ap out there) so i would say way above average
    it depends on your own luck i guess, but even the rarest items are way way more common and since the 900% drop rate bonus is a global buff, i dont think it applies diferently based on item rarity

the problem i think is that for rare stuff 0.05% * (1+9) = 0.5% is still realy low and maybe not that noticable; where for more common items 1%*(1+9)=10% which is way more noticable

but the only way to know for sure is to collect 22k h of data :)

loboram likes this.
  8. loboram

Hmmm, yet you came in here, after saying that you stopped playing the game, and felt the need to write this on the GamezBD Forum?

9. Kalet

Kalet New Member

I didn't stop playing I don't know where you read I stopped playing.on the contrary, I still support Gamez in buying premium

10. loboram

Alright, you don't specifically say; "I am no longer playing this game". However someone who knows English, would usually understand that sentence as; "Which is why I am no longer playing the game". This is far from "interpreting" the written word, it is just a very logical following a to b.

11. Kalet

Kalet New Member

I just asked if there really were a 22,000 hour grindil to make a drop average,I also stated that grind is no longer funy for me after two hours.but thank you very much for your willingness to communicate with people.I appreciate it

12. loboram

AHA! This is where I misunderstood you, it's just that in the original sentence you didn't write "I no longer find it any fun", so sorry about that :)

I do agree with you, that "grinding" for hours on end, is really not the best use of an entire game-world, filled with loads of different activities. I -like so many other intelligent individuals- play when I have the time, and when I actually want to play this game, also placing what I feel like doing in the front seat, instead of just copying what one other player tells me to do :D

Yeah, the amount of hours there, I am guessing is from various players, and also it seems a bit arbitrary to think, that you could quantify Randomness. I mean no matter How many hours of data you have gathered, it doesn't depend on number of hours, but literally number of "loot rolls" (drops). Even if you have 1.000.000 drops data, from the same player, the same area, with the same bonuses, it Still won't be able to tell you, exactly what is going to happen, when that same player walks into that same area again, Because of; Randomness

"In common parlance, randomness is the apparent or actual lack of pattern or predictability in events. A random sequence of events, symbols or steps often has no order and does not follow an intelligible pattern or combination. Individual random events are, by definition, unpredictable..."